Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating after radiator and thermastat replacement

Old 07-24-2016, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKphotoshoot
Did you put the right fluid in? Jeeps use a special fluid for certain years.
I know it sounds like a stupid question, but from 07 to 11 used one kind and 12 and up use a different kind.
No actually a very good question. I have the 2013 which uses the H.O.A.T it is a purple 100k anti freeze yes I did use it in my 13. I know that before 2012 they used the O.A.T Which is orange. I appreciate the response.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by matty86suk
On the 3.8 the overflow hose connects to the rad on the passenger side. Is the overflow hose connected, split or not clamped properly??
Yes that was my first thought since the leak appeared to spray all over the passenger side fender well. It is on good condition and is secure around the fitting . Also the 3.6 is what I have and it too connects to the passenger side upper corner of the radiator.
Old 07-24-2016, 09:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruubdood
I got a new cap with the radiator and I left it running while squeezing both intake tube and the hose going into the engine . Would that be adequate burping of the system? Oh and I ran the heater on high while doing that.
Did you leave the cap off when you burped it? There's a funnel trick that's full proof. Look at youtube there's a few of them.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:35 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ruubdood
No actually a very good question. I have the 2013 which uses the H.O.A.T it is a purple 100k anti freeze yes I did use it in my 13. I know that before 2012 they used the O.A.T Which is orange. I appreciate the response.

Actually 2013's use OAT.....
Old 07-25-2016, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Riflejk
Did you leave the cap off when you burped it? There's a funnel trick that's full proof. Look at youtube there's a few of them.
I found the best way to fill engines with coolant is through the thermostat housing. After my new rad on the 3.8 I filled through thermostat housing until I got coolant at the upper rad hose, hook everything up, top up rad, run with cap off, squeeze line to burp air, when it won't take anymore coolant, close cap, top up overflow, test drive, let it cool, check rad and overflow/top up as required.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Through the thermostat is the best way to fill if applicable. With a burping funnel there's no driving around and rechecking its idiot proof and very convenient. With that said I did mine the exact same way you did on my soon to go 3.8.
Old 07-25-2016, 12:28 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pressure test it and make sure a hairline isn't showing up after thing heat up.
Old 07-25-2016, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JKphotoshoot
Did you put the right fluid in? Jeeps use a special fluid for certain years.
I know it sounds like a stupid question, but from 07 to 11 used one kind and 12 and up use a different kind.
07-12 used HOAT (Orange) and 13+ uses OAT (Purple). There have been reports of early 2013 models having HOAT(Orange) coolant so it is important for that year to actually extract some coolant and have a close look. If you have mixed these two coolants you can cause damage to the system and cause it to plug up. The Fiat OAT is Orange, but Chrysler adds a purple dye causing it to appear orange at certain angles.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jchappies
pressure test it and make sure a hairline isn't showing up after thing heat up.
Is there a way I can pressure test it at home? I
My mistake I am using oat not hoat I know my coolant is purple.
Old 07-26-2016, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is it leaking or do you have coolant diss appearing? Really the only reason for a pressure test it to find leaks. You can rent them at a parts store.

Quick Reply: Overheating after radiator and thermastat replacement