Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Re-Routing Wiring Through Tub

Old 07-25-2016, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re-Routing Wiring Through Tub

I plan to spray-line my entire tub. I removed the carpets and do not like the exposed wire loom (functionally or aesthetically). I've heard that some have re-routed the loom up the B pillar and run them along the roll bar inside the zipped cover and exited near the tailgate, and that this requires adding a length of wire. I've uploaded a photo of the bundle inside the loom on the driver side. It appears to contain about 13 wires and the washer fluid hose for the hard top rear wiper (I think the passenger side has 18 or 19 wires).
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire Loom.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	653114
Has anyone done this? I presume I need to cut and splice each wire individually as opposed to being able to use any kind of premade harness. What gauge wire would you recommend (there seem to be at least two sizes, maybe three, in the bundle)? Can I get by with just one replacement gauge (maybe 18)? Do I need to disconnect the battery? Other than being time-consuming, it seems like it should be pretty straight-forward. I'm pretty handy and I have a stripper, crimper, heat gun... Appreciate your advice in advance. Thx
Old 07-25-2016, 07:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

To answer two of your questions...
Always disconnect the battery negative terminal when doing electrical work on your vehicle.
If you want to use a single wire size to make all the extensions, make it the same size as the largest wire in the bundle.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
To answer two of your questions...
Always disconnect the battery negative terminal when doing electrical work on your vehicle.
If you want to use a single wire size to make all the extensions, make it the same size as the largest wire in the bundle.
Would these wires typically be solid or stranded?
Old 07-26-2016, 03:00 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by uofawildcats
Would these wires typically be solid or stranded?
Wiring exposed to vibration and requiring flexibility should be stranded...so stranded for a vehicle.

Quick Reply: Re-Routing Wiring Through Tub