Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

4Hi help!

Old 07-27-2016, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4Hi help!

Hey guys, I tried to put my JKUR into 4Hi just messing around in my back yard the other day and the gear shift would NOT budge. I've only had her for a month so I suppose there might be more than just pulling the knob back? I didn't see anything in the manual about that, though. I had a 2014 JKU sport and all I had to do was pull the shifter back, no buttons, switches or anything I had to press first. Hoping I didn't get a lemon! I tried while moving, stopped, and in neutral.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shouldn't need to go into neutral unless you're going to 4lo. 4hi is shift on the fly. I'm assuming it's under warranty? Try again and put some force into it. Maybe just new? If something breaks, they'd take care of it.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It is best to be moving so that the gears match up. So if you were trying to do this while stopped then that is pretty common. Try again while moving if you weren't.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

I always have a little trouble getting mine to shift down into 4wd.. Just gotta put some elbow grease into it. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2016, 07:36 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone! I had a friend give it a try and she was able to get it...I think it just needed to be "broken in." I was able to get it pretty easily on my drive home from work tonight...all is good in the world haha. ✌🏼️
Old 07-27-2016, 09:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TyrannosaurusTess
Thanks everyone! I had a friend give it a try and she was able to get it...I think it just needed to be "broken in." I was able to get it pretty easily on my drive home from work tonight...all is good in the world haha. ✌cdffc️
Just don't do it on pavement and you don't really want to force it either. You can break the little plastic linkage that connects it to the transfer case. It's a fun repair on the trail!
Old 07-28-2016, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Machoo
Just don't do it on pavement and you don't really want to force it either. You can break the little plastic linkage that connects it to the transfer case. It's a fun repair on the trail!
Good to know!
Old 09-28-2016, 06:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Easiest way to accomplish this would be to be barely rolling forward and in neutral. As stated above 4HI doesn't require neutral position but it doesn't hurt to have it there for odd reasons. Off the lot, the transfer case is pretty tight, so after using it often it should begin to loosen up some and become easier to change on the fly with very little elbow grease. Congrats on your jeep! Have fun and be careful
Old 10-09-2016, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

i found it easiest while moving, and I give it a good authoritative pull. Going nice and easy doesn't work as well.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by adee1
I give it a good authoritative pull. Going nice and easy doesn't work as well.
Somewhat disagree. I've always told my JK friends that you should handle the shifter as if it were a woman's breast; gently. You break those plastic clips on the shifting cable and you're in for a tough fix (especially if you're not carrying spares with you on the trail)

Quick Reply: 4Hi help!