Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Soundbar Swap?

Old 08-12-2016, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soundbar Swap?

I have heard that the soundbar design in the newer Jeeps (2015/2016) is better than in the older Jeeps (2007/2014). Does anybody know if I could swap the soundbar on my 2011 out for one from a newer Jeep? I am going to be doing a sound system rebuild (nothing huge) and have read that the dynamics of the older soundbars will be working against me because of the thin plastic used and the fact that they are one big air space.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it will fit... you the only difference is the plug.. you will have to cut it off and make your own connections.. but thats not hard to do.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:46 PM
JK Newbie

Save yourself some money and just fill your soundbar with poly-fil when you replace the speakers and you will notice a huge difference.

Here is a video for reference.
https://youtu.be/8t-ynJk2RPA
Old 08-12-2016, 08:36 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by chuxstang
Save yourself some money and just fill your soundbar with poly-fil when you replace the speakers and you will notice a huge difference.

Here is a video for reference.
https://youtu.be/8t-ynJk2RPA
ditto this comment...
Old 08-18-2016, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new sound bar has 2-6 1/2" speakers and 2- 3" tweeters and the compartments are separated from each other and they do have some foam padding in them. They are better then the old style but you still need to upgrade the speakers in it so if you can get one cheap go for it .
Old 08-18-2016, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback folks.

I have already filled mine with polyfill and do plan to upgrade the factory speaker as part of my slow but steady system build. I am starting with a new HU followed by new "small" speakers followed by amps and a sub (or two). I was just curious if would be a worthwhile swap so I could keep my eyes open for one cheap.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:44 PM
JK Newbie

Poly fil will work but not the greatest. I have mine poly filled for a few years now and it does help. I'm about to take mine out and put expanding foam in it to fill the void and take out the resination. Been wanting to do it for awhile it just comes down to time

Quick Reply: Soundbar Swap?