Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Blinker flashing fast, all bulbs work, hazard lights working fine

Old 08-12-2016, 12:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinker flashing fast, all bulbs work, hazard lights working fine

So, I'm lost on this one and have checked multiple threads. It all started when my left blinker began blinking very fast (front and back). Just the left. Then, I noticed it would blink at the normal pace and then start blinking fast all of a sudden. NOW, the right blinker will blink at the normal pace and then pick up speed all of a sudden. All bulbs are active and blinking - none are burned out. When I activate the warning/hazard lights, front and back all blink at the standard speed. Again, when this happens, it is to the front and back blinkers. I'm lost. Also, I have not connected any trailer lights recently. (Other posts have suggested that may be an issue).

It is a 2011 Jeep Rubicon. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-13-2016, 10:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the relay
Old 08-14-2016, 02:57 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
Check the relay
The blinkers/flashers have no relay. It's all triggered by computer.
The closest thing to a relay in the system is the device in the cluster whose only function is to make the sound we all expect to hear when the blinkers are operating.

OP, are all your bulbs stock, and of correct part number?
Old 08-14-2016, 11:19 AM
JK Newbie

Yes - it's crazy - all of my bulbs are functioning and appear to be in good working order - all LED. I believe they are the original stock bulbs on the 2011, though I am the second owner. They have been working perfectly for about a month, and then all of a sudden - it started with the left side. Blinks fast, but bulbs still actually blinking. Then the left side would blink at normal speed for a few seconds and then go to the rapid blinking. Days later, the right side followed suit - a normal blinking pace to begin with and then it would speed up. When I activate the warning flashers, both sides - front and back - blink at a normal pace. Mind blown.
Old 08-14-2016, 12:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would add resistors to anything that was changed out to an LED. If the hazards work fine I am thinking it is because the combined load of all the flashers has equaled the load of 1 incandescent. Computer happy...flash...flash...flash.

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-14-2016 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by klindley
Yes - it's crazy - all of my bulbs are functioning and appear to be in good working order - all LED. I believe they are the original stock bulbs on the 2011, though I am the second owner. They have been working perfectly for about a month, and then all of a sudden - it started with the left side. Blinks fast, but bulbs still actually blinking. Then the left side would blink at normal speed for a few seconds and then go to the rapid blinking. Days later, the right side followed suit - a normal blinking pace to begin with and then it would speed up. When I activate the warning flashers, both sides - front and back - blink at a normal pace. Mind blown.
If they are LEDs, then the answer to my question is no, they are not the stock bulbs, and they are not of the correct part number.
Therein lies the problem.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
If they are LEDs, then the answer to my question is no, they are not the stock bulbs, and they are not of the correct part number. Therein lies the problem.
Amen. I would try putting stock (incandescent) bulbs in and see if the problem goes away.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:34 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The blinkers/flashers have no relay. It's all triggered by computer. The closest thing to a relay in the system is the device in the cluster whose only function is to make the sound we all expect to hear when the blinkers are operating. OP, are all your bulbs stock, and of correct part number?
well shit

Old school just creeped out of me
Old 08-14-2016, 06:35 PM
JK Junkie

I just read the LED????
That's likely the culprit.
Old 03-16-2024, 07:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeepstin12
I just read the LED????
That's likely the culprit.
hello, did that fix the problem with the signal lights flashing fast?

Quick Reply: Blinker flashing fast, all bulbs work, hazard lights working fine