Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

?? What wiring do you use to install you lights??

Old 08-15-2016, 02:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?? What wiring do you use to install you lights??

I've been storing my rock lights and light bar and it time to install them. But what wiring is everyone using??

spod? Daystar?? I want to do it one time and do it right. Would the normal single rely kit work? Do I need something strong?

I'm at a loss. Electrical is a different world but I can install just about anything.

Any and all help is good
Old 08-15-2016, 02:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We need to know a few things first.
Plug and play devices like SPod and switchPro make installation easy
If you want to use a daystar switch panel and your own relays that will work too.
How to you want your setup to be? all the rock lights on 1 switch or half on 1 and the other half on another? how many Amps are the rock lights?
Same for the light bar, How many amps or Watts is it.
That info will also determine that gauge wire you need.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^This.

Also it would be nice to know your future electrical plans. Will these be the only two switches? If not, what is the max you will need? Are you going to use relays?
Old 08-16-2016, 11:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at running

front winch mount light
front rock lights
rear rock lights
rear accessory lights

so a total of 4 switches for know but room for more later so a 6 circuit spod is what i was leaning towards.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like that would work nicely. Or if you have extra time and want to build your own ...

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...ekwire-324558/

You would just need to get a box that holds 6 relays.

If the lights came with their own harnesses, you could use the power and ground section that goes to the lights with the sPod along with the fuse. Everything else won't be needed.

If they didn't come with harnesses, you can use this calculator to determine what wire is required.

http://www.wirebarn.com/Wire-Calculator-_ep_41.html

You just enter the fields at the top and hit calculate. You need the amperage and the length of the run. If you don't know the amperage but you do know the wattage, use watts/volts=amps. The length of the run includes both the positive and negative wires so grounding to the chassis may reduce wire gauge needed as it usually shortens the length of the run.

Last edited by 14Sport; 08-16-2016 at 12:07 PM.

Quick Reply: ?? What wiring do you use to install you lights??