Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

building a winch bumper around Olympic's winch plate?

Old 08-25-2016, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default building a winch bumper around Olympic's winch plate?

So I'm pondering what to do about the front bumper for my JK. I found the Olympic winch plate mount which looks like a good solid starting point. Then I can build the rest of the bumper around it. Thoughts?

http://www.extremeterrain.com/olympi...jk-507174.html
Old 08-25-2016, 07:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like that the Olympic winch plate sits lower, down inside the frame rails, rather than on top like other winch plates, Ares, Harbor Freight, etc.

I figure you have the skills and a unique front bumper design in mind, so looking forward to watching your build.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

The way it sits kind of sold me on the using it - I want to have it low and not obstruct the radiator. I do have decent fab skills - and figure $100 might be a good shortcut (time/steel/effort) in the build
Old 08-25-2016, 09:16 AM
JK Super Freak

If you have the capabilities of building your own bumper why even waste the money buying the winch plate? That would be the easiest part. Just a piece of 3/8 steel between the frame rails either welded to them or weld "L" brackets to it to bolt to the frame rails.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the low,set up. Subbed for future ref

Sent from my iPad using JK-Forum
Old 08-25-2016, 10:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chuck-The-Ripper
If you have the capabilities of building your own bumper why even waste the money buying the winch plate? That would be the easiest part. Just a piece of 3/8 steel between the frame rails either welded to them or weld "L" brackets to it to bolt to the frame rails.
convenience/timing I figured that I might do things in two stages - use the plate and install the winch and then build the rest of the bumper as the time allows.... the only fly in the ointment that I discovered is that this plate has no place for mounting the fairlead or hawse which means that I would have to fab something for the front anyways.... so I might take this design and improve upon it and create a semi open box (bottom, right, left, front) that bolts in and allows for the hawse/fairlead. might extend the front a bit to the right and left so that it also bolts where the stock tow attachment points bolt in for the rigidity and weld the sides (right and left) up the edge to the front for further reinforcement. Btw, probably would not go too high on the right and left - about the same as the olympic mount has them (though theirs goes down not up)
Old 08-26-2016, 10:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1/4" steel plate bolted through the frame rails.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Winch Plate 1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	655379

I made this bumper to wrap around it.

Name:	Front Bumper 1.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	655380

Installed

Name:	fenders_4[1].jpg
Views:	105
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	655381
Old 08-26-2016, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

So you went with the 1/4" to avoid the plate flexing under load? I'm hoping that I can stick with 3/8 as long as it's 'boxed'
Old 08-28-2016, 05:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kejtar
So you went with the 1/4" to avoid the plate flexing under load? I'm hoping that I can stick with 3/8 as long as it's 'boxed'
When I looked at aftermarket winch plates, almost all of them were 1/4". I had both 3/16" and 1/4" available so I went with the 1/4" straight across the bottom of the frame.

Old 08-28-2016, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kaptkrappy
When I looked at aftermarket winch plates, almost all of them were 1/4". I had both 3/16" and 1/4" available so I went with the 1/4" straight across the bottom of the frame.

Hmmm - I was going with 3/16 becaues most bumpers are built out of 3/16"..... for a winch plate that shouldn't make much of a weight difference to go to 1/4" though and it would stiffen up the front.... and I do think I have enough of a 1/4" laying around to make a winch plate/shelf 3/16" I'd have to go shopping for.... ah... the choices..... it's always about the choices

edit: and now that I relooked at the Olympic plate and reread the description on the bottom it states - 1/4" plate I guess that settles it

Last edited by kejtar; 08-28-2016 at 02:41 PM.

Quick Reply: building a winch bumper around Olympic's winch plate?