Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

MyGIG Hard Drive Upgrade - General Info

Old 04-05-2008, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MyGIG Hard Drive Upgrade - General Info

The MyGIG is an embedded car computer created by Harman Becker Automotive (HB) out of Farmington Hills, MI (USA). It runs the QNX Operating System using the SH-4A RISC processor. This means it cannot run Miscrosoft or Apple Software.
However, it is an operating system running the MyGIG Multimedia/Navigation software designed by Harman Becker. As someone indicated earlier, unless HB releases the source code, it will be a difficult, if not impossible task for someone else to add / remove features for MyGiG.
HB will not give you any info about the MyGIG, but they will mail you an update CD to address the latest bug fixes - just email the address below and ask.
MAP Updates are a different story and will only come form local dealerships. Yes, this means updated maps cost $$$!

That being said, I used a Linux Live CD [Clonezilla-SysRescCD v2.4] to look at the hard drive's partition structure.

[Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to line up the columns]
Partition Size Start End ID Format Purpose (my best guess)
1. 9.2 GB 63 19454714 0x4d QNX4.x Main Software
2. 305.9 MB 19454715 20081249 0x4e QNX4.x 2nd part ?? (Maybe Swap File or TMP Storage)
3. 101.9 MB 20081250 20290094 0x4f QNX4.x 3rd part ?? (Maybe Swap File or TMP Storage)
4. 18.3 GB 20290095 58701509 0x50 OnTrack DM Storage area for personal files

It looks like Partition #4 is the place which holds all pics and music.
As far as I can tell, not all of the 18.3 belongs to you. Some of the space belongs to MyGIG.

Here is the good part:
Requirements:
A> Windows XP/Vista Laptop
1. You must be able to remove the HD
2. It must be able to use ATA standard 2.5" hard drives
3. It must be able to run the Linux Live CD
B> MyGIG Original HD (obviously removed from the MyGIG) [mine was 30GB]
C> New, Larger 2.5" MyGIG HD [mine was 40GB]
D> USB 2.5" adapter cable to connect Original MyGIG HD to laptop using a USB Port
E> Download and burn a copy of the Linux Live CD
Clonezilla-SysRescCD Linux Live CD

Notes:
A. I used a new, never installed MyGIG RER 30GB model.
B. My new, larger hard drive is not designed for automotive applications. It's a regular 40GB laptop 2.5" ATA hard drive.
C. Neither Lock Pick nor NAV TV products were used in this test.
D. Your MyGiG drive should never "touch" a "Live" Windows or Apple computer. It's not Windows or Apple once you have booted with the Linux Live CD - It's transformed into Linux
E. Always remove the vehicle's radio fuse before pulling/installing the MyGIG head unit.

General Steps:
1. Removed the Original MyGIG hard drive and clone it using Clonezilla-SysRescCD onto a New, larger 2.5" laptop HD.
a. Remove Laptop's Windows XP/Vista HD - set aside
b. Attach MyGiG HD to laptop with USB cable.
c. Install New MyGIG HD into laptop. (all data will be erased)
d. Boot with Clonezilla-SysRescCD.
Perform Partition Tasks:
2. Clone Old HD to New HD taking into consideration partition / sector layout:
a. Boot into Clonezilla and copy HD to HD via partition structure, Shutdown Laptop
b. Disconnect Original MyGIG HD to avoid mistakes - set aside
3. Delete Partition#4 from cloned HD: [I could not figure out how to expand partition #4 to take up the extra space, so I deleted it]
a. Boot Linux CD into 32bit System Rescue Graphical, run GParted and Delete Cloned Partition#4
b. While in System Rescue Graphical, Create a New Linux EXT3 Partition#4 using all of the available free space at the end of the HD, Reboot back to Main Menu
4. Go to Tools Menu and select DOS Part software, change the partition ID from "linux ext3" to "0x50 OnTrack DM".(enter 50 manually)
5. Shutdown Laptop and remove New MyGiG Drive.
6. Finally, install the New, larger HD into the MyGIG.
7. Store the Original MyGIG HD in a safe place.
8. Pull Radio Fuse.
9. Install MyGIG into you vehicle (Mine is a 2008 Rubicon)
10. Install Radio Fuse.
11. Reinstall Windows HD back into laptop

The new size of My Personal Space is 24.68 GB!
Capacity: 26.638 GB
Used: 1.958 GB
Available: 24.680 GB

I have not uploaded any pics or mp3's but 1.958 GB's are already taken by the MyGIG - Hmmm??

I never installed the 30GB MyGIG, so I'm not sure how much Personal Space is on an empty 30GB model.

Obviously, this method requires someone to reinstall/upload all pics and mp3's again.

These steps should work with any 2.5" ATA hard drive, but I'm not sure if the MyGIG QNX [hardware / software] has any partition size limits.

Warning: I need to do more testing to ensure my upgrade properly uploads and plays pics and music. Also need to test if the larger hard drive will interfer with Chrysler software updades.

Until next time, tinker at your own RISK!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	MyGiG My Personal Space Screen.jpg
Views:	1121
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	7706  

Last edited by wayoflife; 04-11-2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: please refrain from posting direct links or contact info to non-sponsoring manufacturers
Old 04-05-2008, 06:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

You ran through that pretty much exactly how I was planning on it.. damn you for getting to it before me.

Let us know if it works once you up some music to it... I just wish I could dorp video to the drive nd play it back.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like a lot of work for a few extra gigs of space . What's the biggest HD you can stick in the mygig while still being supported by the OS?

Also, I hear a lot of mygigs are failing. Isn't it risky to void the mygig warranty before we know they're stable or not (Not that most dealerships would be keen enough to notice the mods).
Old 04-05-2008, 07:42 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by wayland1985
Seems like a lot of work for a few extra gigs of space . What's the biggest HD you can stick in the mygig while still being supported by the OS?

Also, I hear a lot of mygigs are failing. Isn't it risky to void the mygig warranty before we know they're stable or not (Not that most dealerships would be keen enough to notice the mods).
That's my though as well. Sounds a bit risky, but then again if you are technical enough to figure all that out, then you probably thought through all that already.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

This should be called "The Official Geek Squad Thread". That information was so over my head, I just read it laughing at how little I know...
Old 04-06-2008, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayland1985

You can always swap the hard drive back before returning it.

And as far as how much space- theoretically, whatever size drive you find it'll read. A little bird told me that originally the OS was set to handle only the size it came with but around 9.5xx it was changed, around the time of the 30 gig drives.

More importantly, you could technically get yourself a faster, more responsive drive, for one, or a solid state drive that won't crash from motion-jarring.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hummm... This sounds reasonably easy. (Yes, I meant that - the directions, not figuring it out.)

Is the original MyGig HD any type of special "automotive" drive or just a standard 2.5" laptop drive?

Last edited by torpex77; 04-13-2008 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Nice write up ..

That was a really neat write-up. I've had it in mind to do something like this for a while but it comes behind: get married, move house, consolidate closets, linex tub and purchase/install lift which are all on my list for this year.

I have been waiting for the new 80GB drive from Seagate to come out. Google Seagate EE25.2 if you're thinking about this mod as thatr would be a perfect drive to install - it's specifically designed for automotive applications and is slight better (IMO) than the Toshiba offering (MK8050) which was the only choice of 80GB automotive grade hard drive until the Seagate came out a month or so back. If you're going to be off-roading (presumably you are) then one of these drives might be expected to reduce your vulnerability to issues arising from vibration induced damage etc to the HDD (although a standard laptop HDD might also be assumed to be reasonably "robust" some hold up better than others under adverse conditions)

Secondly, if anyone knows how the software works with respect to recognizing the hard-drive that would be very useful. Based on the write up above I'm assuming that the software recognizes the size of the drive (and the addressable size is "detected" as opposed to hard-coded) so my question really is what is the maximum addressable size that the software can "see"? IT would be a shame to put ibn an 80GB drive and then find that the MyGig only sees 40GB (for example)

Also - the original poster notes that the hard-drive should never touch a windows or mac computer. That's worth emphasizibng as it's critically important to avoid either of these OS's accessign the harddrive as there is a risk that in doind so they will "write" to the Mygig drive thus rendering it inoperable.

It's a mystery to me why the two predominant OS's "write" to disks in such an undisciplined way (!?) but they certainly do so be careful...

Vive Linux!

Steve
Old 04-20-2008, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wonder if there would be a way to use one of the super small portable 250GB Western digital HDs that are out now even if it was mounted under the dash somewhere. (mine is about the size of an ipod) I am guessing that they aren't compatible with this linux??? I don't know Jack about this stuff but find it fascinating that you guys have figured this out.
Old 04-20-2008, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matt101
The MyGIG is an embedded car computer created by Harman Becker Automotive (HB) out of Farmington Hills, MI (USA). It runs the QNX Operating System using the SH-4A RISC processor. This means it cannot run Miscrosoft or Apple Software.
However, it is an operating system running the MyGIG Multimedia/Navigation software designed by Harman Becker. As someone indicated earlier, unless HB releases the source code, it will be a difficult, if not impossible task for someone else to add / remove features for MyGiG.
HB will not give you any info about the MyGIG, but they will mail you an update CD to address the latest bug fixes - just email the address below and ask.
MAP Updates are a different story and will only come form local dealerships. Yes, this means updated maps cost $$$!

That being said, I used a Linux Live CD [Clonezilla-SysRescCD v2.4] to look at the hard drive's partition structure.

[Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to line up the columns]
Partition Size Start End ID Format Purpose (my best guess)
1. 9.2 GB 63 19454714 0x4d QNX4.x Main Software
2. 305.9 MB 19454715 20081249 0x4e QNX4.x 2nd part ?? (Maybe Swap File or TMP Storage)
3. 101.9 MB 20081250 20290094 0x4f QNX4.x 3rd part ?? (Maybe Swap File or TMP Storage)
4. 18.3 GB 20290095 58701509 0x50 OnTrack DM Storage area for personal files

It looks like Partition #4 is the place which holds all pics and music.
As far as I can tell, not all of the 18.3 belongs to you. Some of the space belongs to MyGIG.

Here is the good part:
Requirements:
A> Windows XP/Vista Laptop
1. You must be able to remove the HD
2. It must be able to use ATA standard 2.5" hard drives
3. It must be able to run the Linux Live CD
B> MyGIG Original HD (obviously removed from the MyGIG) [mine was 30GB]
C> New, Larger 2.5" MyGIG HD [mine was 40GB]
D> USB 2.5" adapter cable to connect Original MyGIG HD to laptop using a USB Port
E> Download and burn a copy of the Linux Live CD
Clonezilla-SysRescCD Linux Live CD

Notes:
A. I used a new, never installed MyGIG RER 30GB model.
B. My new, larger hard drive is not designed for automotive applications. It's a regular 40GB laptop 2.5" ATA hard drive.
C. Neither Lock Pick nor NAV TV products were used in this test.
D. Your MyGiG drive should never "touch" a "Live" Windows or Apple computer. It's not Windows or Apple once you have booted with the Linux Live CD - It's transformed into Linux
E. Always remove the vehicle's radio fuse before pulling/installing the MyGIG head unit.

General Steps:
1. Removed the Original MyGIG hard drive and clone it using Clonezilla-SysRescCD onto a New, larger 2.5" laptop HD.
a. Remove Laptop's Windows XP/Vista HD - set aside
b. Attach MyGiG HD to laptop with USB cable.
c. Install New MyGIG HD into laptop. (all data will be erased)
d. Boot with Clonezilla-SysRescCD.
Perform Partition Tasks:
2. Clone Old HD to New HD taking into consideration partition / sector layout:
a. Boot into Clonezilla and copy HD to HD via partition structure, Shutdown Laptop
b. Disconnect Original MyGIG HD to avoid mistakes - set aside
3. Delete Partition#4 from cloned HD: [I could not figure out how to expand partition #4 to take up the extra space, so I deleted it]
a. Boot Linux CD into 32bit System Rescue Graphical, run GParted and Delete Cloned Partition#4
b. While in System Rescue Graphical, Create a New Linux EXT3 Partition#4 using all of the available free space at the end of the HD, Reboot back to Main Menu
4. Go to Tools Menu and select DOS Part software, change the partition ID from "linux ext3" to "0x50 OnTrack DM".(enter 50 manually)
5. Shutdown Laptop and remove New MyGiG Drive.
6. Finally, install the New, larger HD into the MyGIG.
7. Store the Original MyGIG HD in a safe place.
8. Pull Radio Fuse.
9. Install MyGIG into you vehicle (Mine is a 2008 Rubicon)
10. Install Radio Fuse.
11. Reinstall Windows HD back into laptop

The new size of My Personal Space is 24.68 GB!
Capacity: 26.638 GB
Used: 1.958 GB
Available: 24.680 GB

I have not uploaded any pics or mp3's but 1.958 GB's are already taken by the MyGIG - Hmmm??

I never installed the 30GB MyGIG, so I'm not sure how much Personal Space is on an empty 30GB model.

Obviously, this method requires someone to reinstall/upload all pics and mp3's again.

These steps should work with any 2.5" ATA hard drive, but I'm not sure if the MyGIG QNX [hardware / software] has any partition size limits.

Warning: I need to do more testing to ensure my upgrade properly uploads and plays pics and music. Also need to test if the larger hard drive will interfer with Chrysler software updades.

Until next time, tinker at your own RISK!
Matt101,

You are on the correct path on the Hard drive upgrade. I started looking into this last april when HB sent me a new MyGig but work got in my way. I have also had couple people working for me do some research as well.
  • when partitioning drives you will lose space to overhead.
  • QNX requries space for it's over head. I'm not sure what the min space requirements is for this
  • out of the factory there are pic loaded
  • also the map for the nav is loaded on the hd
  • I'm looking at HD partition limitations for QNX to determin how big of a drive i can stick in the system.
I have a 64GB solid state drive that I'm looking to put in the mygig. It is more suited for this kind of application. Keep in mind the average HD does not like movement, especially the type of wheeling I do with my JK and even daily drives hitting bumps and pot holes will cause drive damage. I know another guy is looking at integrating a HD sock system from a tuff book to help protect the HD.

Quick Reply: MyGIG Hard Drive Upgrade - General Info