Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Cruise control install gone wrong! Help!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control install gone wrong! Help!

Ok, I F'd the cruise control install big time. Here's what happened. I was installing the cruise control kit using the write up here, all was good untill I pulled the steering wheel off the mount and allot of other crap came with it. There is a black circle that the steering wheel plugs into that poped open. It has a white paper thin wire that coils up when you turn the steering wheel back and forth. So I thought I wound it back up properly and got everything back together. I went for a test drive and after a few turns I could feel the wire rip out, the airbag light comes on, ESP light, no cruise, and no horn. So I pull off the steering wheel and find the white cable ripped out. I have no idea how to fix this. Any ideas guys?

Here are some pictures of where the wire came from and the wire:

Last edited by zjnoob; 05-29-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks expensive my friend. good luck
Old 05-30-2008, 04:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Man that sucks. I really don't have anything constructive to add. If it is driveable I would take it to the dealer and let them sort it outhe airbag is something you need to make certain will work properly when you need it.

I was really nervous when installing my cruise control. With my luck I am surprised this did not happen to me Good Luck
Old 05-30-2008, 06:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

A VERY important step that was left SLAM out of that writeup would have saved your day. You only need to LOOSEN the steering wheel retaining bolt, THEN remove the wheel from the shaft, then remove the bolt the rest of the way, and take the wheel completely off. That keeps the wheel from snatching anything else out with it.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The part you broke is called a clockspring. As you described, it houses the electrical connections for steering wheel components. There are very specific re-winding/centering instructions for installing a clockspring that you may have overlooked. On a TJ, the OEM part cost around $150. I imagine it will be similar on the JK or maybe just a bit more expensive. Grab a new one but just be careful to center the wheel and follow the instructions on the clockspring. Or have the dealer do it. It's about 15-30 minutes of labor.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by txjeeplover
The part you broke is called a clockspring. As you described, it houses the electrical connections for steering wheel components. There are very specific re-winding/centering instructions for installing a clockspring that you may have overlooked. On a TJ, the OEM part cost around $150. I imagine it will be similar on the JK or maybe just a bit more expensive. Grab a new one but just be careful to center the wheel and follow the instructions on the clockspring. Or have the dealer do it. It's about 15-30 minutes of labor.
Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: Cruise control install gone wrong! Help!