Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Homemade Rear Cargo Trunk for $48!!!!

Old 04-23-2008, 06:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great write up. If you used some weatherstripping you could put it on top of the quarter pannels and the weather stripping would keep it from scratching and keep the water out. I also like the idea of treated wood and rhinoliner!! A divider in ther would give it some center support and you could probably then put a rack basket on it...that would look SWEET!!!

Again Great job!!
Old 04-23-2008, 06:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job. I did something just like it in my TJ (R.I.P). Would it work if you flipped the metal brackets over inorder to hide the lip that is sticking up?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:41 AM
JK Super Freak

great to see all the pics. nice job!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:12 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TINMAN_2469
Great job. I did something just like it in my TJ (R.I.P). Would it work if you flipped the metal brackets over inorder to hide the lip that is sticking up?
I'm sure it would. I considered configuring the brackets in a "Z" or "S" shape instead of "T" shaped, but I just figured that if I bolted the brackets back to back in a "T" shape, it would be more stable. If you go to the section in Lowes where these brackets are located, you'll see that they make 6 ft long pieces of the same stuff in a bar. If I had something to cut metal with, I'd have bought that, cut it down to 5 ft & put it across from qtr to qtr as a support. then, you could dance on the thing! It's got holes in it, too, so with longer bolts, you could bolt thru the wood, thru the bar, and thru the brackets.

There are definitely ways to make this better.

Last edited by tidegrad; 04-23-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:16 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by brent_f70
Great write up. If you used some weatherstripping you could put it on top of the quarter pannels and the weather stripping would keep it from scratching and keep the water out. I also like the idea of treated wood and rhinoliner!! A divider in ther would give it some center support and you could probably then put a rack basket on it...that would look SWEET!!!

Again Great job!!

That would be the easiest way to do this...put weatherstriping on the qtrs, then bolt directly to the 3 holes along the quarter. PLUS, it'd be easier to draw out the pattern & cut the material.

However, the reason I chose to mount it on the inside is that I can use it with the soft top or the hard top. If you mount it ON the quarters, you can't do that...or you could, but you'd risk rubbing the top. It just depends on how you ride...with or without a soft top mounted. It can definitely be adjusted to suit your needs.

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TINMAN_2469
Sure. But I could use the holes in the lip to attach bungee cords or a cargo net. Again, take it & run with it!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:22 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by brent_f70

Again Great job!!
Originally, I wanted to cover the wood with a sheet of black diamond tread. However, Lowes doesn't sell a large enough piece (need 5 ft across & they have 4 ft) PLUS I don't have the tools to cut metal. Although I could use a metal blade on a circular saw. Anyway, I also considered covering it with carpet that matches the interior of the Jeep. If you look in the floor mat section at Walmart, they sell 6' x 3' rolls of "truck" carpet for approx $8. It's black & matches the interior carpet. However, I figured I'd spend all of my time vacuuming it...plus bird poo wouldn't be fun to clean out of carpet.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

I think maybe covering the wood with some fiberglass and then painting would give a nice "from the factory" look.

Either way, still looks good.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BLKRuby
I think maybe covering the wood with some fiberglass and then painting would give a nice "from the factory" look.

Either way, still looks good.
I agree!! Wish I had those skills.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:24 AM
JK Junkie

Great Job.....

.....even for a Bama fan.

Quick Reply: Homemade Rear Cargo Trunk for $48!!!!