Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 08-23-2009, 05:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From all the pictures it looks like the lines are run in different directions on their way to the splice area. Some look like they wrap around the side of the stock radiator and some going straight down (running under the radiator).

Which is the best route to take?
Old 08-24-2009, 07:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree that they'd have to prove the cooler cause the failure. I wasn't aware that the OM says to add an additional cooler if warranted. I'll certainly do it then and keep that page should there ever be a problem, telling them I do a lot of stop and go (metro NYC area).

Hopefully, the cooler will mean I never have a problem!

My KJ was worked VERY hard for years. 90k miles. And ONCE, the summer before I sold it, after a full day of wheeling at Killington, VT, the tranny light came on during the drive to the hotel. I left it running as per owners manual, until it went off. Took about 15 minutes. Tranny slipped a few times about a month later. I took it to the dealer who said "tranny is shot. rebuilt is $1500. do it now!" I didn't think that was right, so I took it back, and CHECKED THE LEVEL and it was about 1/2 pint low! I filled it and never had a problem again for the 4 months before selling it for my JK.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:43 PM
JK Junkie

I just went through the owner's manual and saw NO mention of adding an additional tranny cooler. It does say 180 degrees is normal.

(don't get me wrong, I am 100% for them, I just wanted to see it in the manual like others said but didn't. if I missed it, please tell me the page #)

TIA!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ronjenx
The factory service manual recommends an additional transmission cooler if the owner's driving style causes the automatic transmission to overheat.
They could squawk only if your cooler was not installed correctly or if it plugged up or sprung a leak and lead to transmission failure.
Originally Posted by adamisadam
I just went through the owner's manual and saw NO mention of adding an additional tranny cooler. It does say 180 degrees is normal.

(don't get me wrong, I am 100% for them, I just wanted to see it in the manual like others said but didn't. if I missed it, please tell me the page #)

TIA!
correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the factory service manual and the owners manual two completely different things?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:56 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the factory service manual and the owners manual two completely different things?
No correction required.
This is from the factory service manual:
"The customer driving patterns may indicate the need for an additional transmission oil cooler."
Old 08-25-2009, 03:03 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
No correction required.
This is from the factory service manual:
"The customer driving patterns may indicate the need for an additional transmission oil cooler."
1) can u scan or fax that to me?
2) where can I get a service manual on the cheap? are they CD or paper?

thanks for the clarification!
Old 08-25-2009, 03:19 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by adamisadam
1) can u scan or fax that to me?
2) where can I get a service manual on the cheap? are they CD or paper?

thanks for the clarification!
Go to the dealer and have them click on the following items on their CD service manual.

+21 - TRANSMISSION AND TRANSFER CASE

+AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 42RLE - ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSTICS

+AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION 42RLE - ELECTRICAL DIAGNOSTICS

+DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING

P0218-HIGH TEMPERATURE OPERATION ACTIVATED

(Then scroll down to step 3):

3. HIGH TEMPERATURE OPERATION
This DTC is an informational DTC designed to aid the Technician in diagnosing shift quality complaints.
This DTC indicates that the transmission has been operating in the "Overheat" shift schedule which may generate a customer complaint.
The customer driving patterns may indicate the need for an additional transmission oil cooler.
With the scan tool, check the Event Data to help identify the conditions in which the DTC was set.
Check for any Service Information Tune-ups or Service Bulletins for any possible causes that may apply.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:06 AM
JK Newbie

I installed my cooler yesterday. I have to ask, was I the only one to hesitate before cutting the tranny line? Btw, if anyone knows, what pressure does the fluid run at? Is it at a high pressure, or low... I ask because I wanted to check again for leaks before putting the grille back on.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by VA_Rubi-Red
Hey paratus13, very helpful (and simple) write-up for the trannie cooler. Thanks for the contribution. Keep us posted on your results trailering.
I installed my cooler this weekend and would also like to say thanks to Paratus13 for his detailed writeup. I too agree with using the brackets to keep the cooler away from the AC condenser and did not like the idea of putting staps through the radiator/condenser.

Page 3 on the following link gives another possibility for routing the top hose off the cooler. I felt doing it this way minimized the bending some. I'm certain either way would work fine. Page 4 gives some details as to how you can mount with brackets. I'm not trying to "hyjack" the thread, only to add some additional detail to help folks out. To keep everything in one place, page 1 and 2 contain some Web information on tranny preventative maintenance. Sorry, for the life of me I cannot find the taxi cab tranny maintenance study I ran across.

http://home.comcast.net/~kingslea1/Jeep/Tranny.pdf
Old 08-30-2009, 01:32 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by redrunner
I installed my cooler this weekend and would also like to say thanks to Paratus13 for his detailed writeup. I too agree with using the brackets to keep the cooler away from the AC condenser and did not like the idea of putting staps through the radiator/condenser.

Page 3 on the following link gives another possibility for routing the top hose off the cooler. I felt doing it this way minimized the bending some. I'm certain either way would work fine. Page 4 gives some details as to how you can mount with brackets. I'm not trying to "hyjack" the thread, only to add some additional detail to help folks out. To keep everything in one place, page 1 and 2 contain some Web information on tranny preventative maintenance. Sorry, for the life of me I cannot find the taxi cab tranny maintenance study I ran across.

http://home.comcast.net/~kingslea1/Jeep/Tranny.pdf
That's a nice write up in that .pdf! thanks! I have a vacuum can that I got when I had a Mercedes. M-B advocates vacuum oil changes. I never thought about doing it for the tranny. Good idea. Much easier to do much more often! Espeically with skid plates and all. Just gotta be careful about not getting dirty tubes with motor oil down into the tranny.

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler