Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Transmission Cooler

Old 05-01-2008, 08:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cgrace12
... it bothers me that the radidiator is running over 220, normal driving in 40 deg weather... Hate to see what it steams like when it's 105 out this July.
Are you running 44" boggers or something?
Old 05-06-2008, 01:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luigi0523
f I'm reading this correctly you are measuring the the temp after the cooler.
While this is of interest, it would be good to see the oil temp out of the trans, to see the working temp of the oil and what the decrease in temp out, would be.
Which makes his stock peak over 220* even look worse!

It's pretty much made my mind up that the JK needs a trans cooler before even thinking about towing... and probably could use one just for normal driving!
Old 05-06-2008, 04:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by R8R ROK
Great write up.

One quick question. Why didn't you mount the cooler with the hose outlets facing up. I am sure that you had a great reason. I am definately thinking about going this route.

Thanks
I wanted to use the shortest hoses possible. According to the guys at B&M, the way I have it mounted and with the hoses pointed will achieve max cooling.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cooling

Good deal, I added one of these to my TJ when I got it...

I'm going to get a temp guage as well, mount it near the 4x4 shifter...

that glow looks spiffy...

my friend's Excursion has a tranny temp guage stock... but its setup for towing.

Can an auto run too cool? what if you added like 40 coolers?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Good deal, I added one of these to my TJ when I got it...

I'm going to get a temp guage as well, mount it near the 4x4 shifter...

that glow looks spiffy...

my friend's Excursion has a tranny temp guage stock... but its setup for towing.

Can an auto run too cool? what if you added like 40 coolers?
Yes, they can run too cool. I would feel comfortable going with a cooler a size larger than the ones I got. It's funnythe owners manual states the normal operating temp of the transmission is 180*...and I was getting much higher readings!
Old 05-06-2008, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blue
Are you running 44" boggers or something?
No, stock 32" and the radiator steams off rain when it's 40 out... I'm not talking some steam either, I'm talking clouds of steam rolling out of the grill. The temp gage (if it really is a gage and not an idiot light with a needle) never moves over mid-gage.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, stock 32" and the radiator steams off rain when it's 40 out... I'm not talking some steam either, I'm talking clouds of steam rolling out of the grill. The temp gage (if it really is a gage and not an idiot light with a needle) never moves over mid-gage.
That would worry me until I figured out what was going on.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by luigi0523
If I'm reading this correctly you are measuring the the temp after the cooler.
While this is of interest, it would be good to see the oil temp out of the trans, to see the working temp of the oil and what the decrease in temp out, would be.
X2
Old 05-08-2008, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LGNDLIVS
X2
It would be of interest - I would also like to know how much the cooler is actually cooling down the tranny oil. With the temps I am getting, I am to see the temp of the oil coming out of the transmission!
Old 05-09-2008, 07:49 AM
JK Junkie

Yeah, I was taking a hopeful guess that the steam was from the trans cooler... it bothers me that the radidiator is running over 220, normal driving in 40 deg weather... Hate to see what it steams like when it's 105 out this July.
Yeah, but what what you have to remember is that your engine temp is regulated (byt the thermostat, computer controlled fan, etc.) and is set to run a a certain temp and stay there, however, the transmission is not, on either count. It's not like back when when vehicles ran 185*-195*. They run hotter nowdays intentionally.

Yeah, that does sound strange then. Well assuming the gauge is reading correctly, then the only thing that I would think is that it's just the cold rain.

Might be worth talking to the dealer and having them check out though, then if you have any issues later, even when it's out of warranty, it should be covered because it's been noted as a pre-existing condition.

Last edited by BLKRUBI; 05-09-2008 at 07:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler