Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

getting the sentry key wet

Old 05-05-2008, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my key with the remote on it spent the winter outside after falling out of my pocket then going through the snow blower and finding it in the spring melt in a puddle going though freeze and thaw cycles.
Had no issues with it an works fine
Old 05-06-2008, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went on a canoe trip with my 12 year old son and left my keys in the Jeep. I had them in the back under a section of carpet that I could reach from a partaly unzipped window, but you could not see them and would have to know where they were to find them.
It was a good thing, coz we capsized.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by newjeep123
Does anyone know what happens if I get the sentry key wet (as in overturned kayak)?
My drybags don't keep everything totally dry and I would be unhappy to get back to the Jeep and find it won't start cause the key got wet.
One of my keys got a severe cleaning in my jean's pocket in the wash machine. I opened the snap cover, rinsed everything and put it and the battery in the window for some sun time. Works fine, now a bit softer from the fabric rinse.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:37 PM
JK Freak

Q: How do you know it's a kayaker's Jeep?

A: Shake it and the keys fall out.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:10 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newjeep123
Does anyone know what happens if I get the sentry key wet (as in overturned kayak)?
My drybags don't keep everything totally dry and I would be unhappy to get back to the Jeep and find it won't start cause the key got wet.
I haven't taken apart this key yet, but the one for my wife's minivan & her Lexus were both gasketed to protect from water. I wouldn't scuba with them.

Quick Reply: getting the sentry key wet