Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

getting the sentry key wet

Old 05-04-2008, 07:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting the sentry key wet

Does anyone know what happens if I get the sentry key wet (as in overturned kayak)?
My drybags don't keep everything totally dry and I would be unhappy to get back to the Jeep and find it won't start cause the key got wet.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Former Member

Sentry key won't know if it's wet .
Key fob for power door locks have a battery in them so probably a different story.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:35 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The chip is basically just a really low power RFID chip. Its pretty self contained. I don't know how well its sealed in there, but it should be pretty good. That said, if you're talking about salt water and it gets in there then you can kiss the chip goodbye. It would probably be fine with fresh water after it dried out.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just put the keys in a zip lock baggie, then into the dry bag? That should take care of any potential water damage worries. Can't hurt.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:22 PM
Former Member

Or stash the key somewhere cause if anyone wants the machine bad enough they're just gonna load it up on a flatbed and wave bye-bye while you're out there kayaking
Old 05-04-2008, 01:03 PM
JK Freak

I have gotten my fob wet a few times wheather it was rain, washing machine, or pool it still works but salt water I would not do and I try to to avoid it as much of a chance of getting the key wet with salt water
Old 05-04-2008, 06:45 PM
JK Newbie

I use this for securing the keys when I surf. It locks to the trailer hitch, and I don't have to worry about lost keys anymore (or keys going into the water). I can fit my jeep key, along with a couple smaller keys on the ring as well. There are other brands out there, this just happened to catch my eye at the hardware store. Hope this helps you out.

http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/pr...template=style
Old 05-05-2008, 02:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lil Smokie
I use this for securing the keys when I surf.
http://www.masterlock.com/cgi-bin/pr...template=style
i wonder how long it takes to try out all 9999 combinations, starting with 0001.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

The transponder in the key is in a glass capsule. Getting it wet won't hurt it. That said I didn't think about scuba diving. I had metal keys made and take them when ever I am somewhere where I can lose my keys. I have a lock box in the Jeep for my high dollar keys.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I will never take my only set of keys out on the water. I once lost a set of keys for a rental Jeep while snorkeling in Hawaii. Ruined one day of our honeymoon.

Quick Reply: getting the sentry key wet