Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

My dash light mod

Old 06-19-2008, 05:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My dash light mod

Since everyone else has been doing this in one way or another, I figured I would get in on the fun.
Right now I only have 3 LED lights above the A/C rings. I will probably put two more above the window switches. I plan to put some in the back door handles, as well as in the rear cupholders pointing up at those switches as well.
I did it the same as everyone else, grounding to the black wire coming out of the cigarette lighter, hot wire coming from the orange wire with gray stripe going into the A/C panel (it is dimmable).
Here it is on lowest setting.

And here is high.

Taking into account that there was a 2 second exposure, the light doesn't look like a beam going onto the t-case shifter like that. It mainly stays a light red glow. You can't see the bulbs without leaning down into the armrest, so I like that.

Last edited by Dr.McNinja; 02-03-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Looking good

Wish I had the time for these type of projects, maybe someday
Old 06-19-2008, 12:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks good, but not my cup of tea. I like to retain my night vission when driving at night, rather than have a Broadway Cruiser.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Lorrel
Looks good, but not my cup of tea. I like to retain my night vission when driving at night, rather than have a Broadway Cruiser.
That's why I used red. I can't even see it when I look out the windshield, but if I up my dimmer switch to full (but not up to "dome light") then I can see things in the cupholders.
Old 06-20-2008, 07:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Did the next level above the window switches. Now people can tell where they are too.

Last edited by Dr.McNinja; 02-03-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:18 PM
JK Super Freak

So, finally got around to completing this. With my tailgate light mod, I wanted a way to light up the Jeep differently.
Seeing what others had done with rock lights, but wanting to stay red, I decided to buy the red led lights from Advance Auto. They were 14.99, have adhesive on them, and are prewired. All you need to do is wire them to a ground and to a switch.

Turning to the inside, I put red LEDs in the dome and rear light.

Not wanting to leave out any of my leftover LEDs, I put 4 of them up on the headliner and connected them to the dome light circuit.

Then I put 2 in my cupholder so I could see it at night as well.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Completed project

Cupholder

Rear with carseat base

Rear tub with light on
Old 02-03-2010, 06:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lorrel
Thats why the military uses red lights at night- retains night vision and cannot be seen at a distance.

Love the lights, looks good.

do the cupholder lights light up your bottled water?
Old 02-03-2010, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jackson2010jk
Thats why the military uses red lights at night- retains night vision and cannot be seen at a distance.

Love the lights, looks good.

do the cupholder lights light up your bottled water?
Actually the best night-light is green!
Old 02-03-2010, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

Looks great!, did something similar in my old Commander. If I do this in the wrangler probably just going to throw some soft whites in the cup holders. Seems to be the most useful spot, I always leave crap lying around in them.

Quick Reply: My dash light mod