Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Getting to back seat in a 2-door

Old 07-16-2008, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting to back seat in a 2-door

I wonder if I'm the only one who noticed this, or the only one who complained about it, but I noticed when you're putting more than one passenger in with you in the Jeep, it's a total pain for the person to get in the back seat!

I had a TJ once and I loved how the passenger seat would move forward then come up and even more forward till it was touching the dashboard. This gave plenty of room for passengers to get into the back seat. But it looks like Jeep gave up this great idea and now the passenger seat just scoots forward but doesn't come up and forward more like in the TJ.

Because of this there is less space between the passenger seat and the center frame to squeeze through to get into the back seat.

Sure, if the top's down, I'd just have them climb over the side or the back to get into the back seat. That would be a lot easier. But with the top up, it's very difficult.

After I bought my Jeep, I even tried it myself. I'm a tall guy too, standing at 6'3". Getting into the back seat was a bit of a squeeze but getting out was almost impossible! I would get one of my legs stuck while trying to exit the Jeep. The way the passenger's seat moves forward is identical to the driver's seat too, so there's no better way to get inside the back.

So I'm calling for all 2-door Jeep owners out there to ask what your opinion is of this. By chance is there any aftermarket parts to make the passenger seat on the JK like that of the TJ? Or does anyone have a great tip when hauling around friends without the ones in the back complaining about it?
The following users liked this post:
Mrpackfan (03-14-2023)
Old 07-16-2008, 02:40 PM
JK Junkie

You're not the only one. Many people also said you can blame where they mounted the passenger side seat belt. In fact, Jeep changed where they mounted the seat belt from 2007 to 2008.

I'm not sure about new seat brackets, but I find using the driver's side to be easier to load passengers from. Sure, you don't have the easy access lever, but the seat stays forward, and doesn't need to be pushed while you're making your way in/out.

I usually stick the women in the back too. It's quite fun watching them struggle to get in and out :crazy:
Old 07-16-2008, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

back seat forget about it ,this seat is not bad to ride in if only you can get there and like you said if one could get there getting out could be a problem. would like to see someone come up with some mod for this problem
Old 07-16-2008, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried it once to see how bad it was, as it looked bad, I'm 6'4" and it's hard as hell to get back there to apply the 303 to the speaker bar. Don't tell me you think that back seat was meant for full sized adults! Silly 2 Door owner, that seat is for kids!
Old 07-16-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ResQGrnRubi
Silly 2 Door owner, that seat is for kids!
LOL, don't have any of those yet, still looking for a wife!
Old 07-16-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Jedi

It's one of the few things they definitely didn't improve upon over the TJ (in fact regressed). Speculation is that the seat doesn't shift forward like the TJ because of the airbag sensor.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

when i was shopping for my 08 i was actually told by the dealer that the newer ones would have the flip up front seats like the old jeeps
Old 07-16-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default back seat makes excellent household or garage furniture

I guess thats why my backseat has now become living room furniture,quite comfy actually kinda like a really low loveseat(with yes essentials fabric to boot)maybe I should have made a endtable out of that plastic airdam thingy that was attached to stock front bumper
PS if me and Jeepgirl had kids we probably could not afford this RUBI,2 seats is all we need
no seriously
did try and get in it once before removing it,I'm only 5"9 and 160lbs and found it very difficult to get in and out so removed it to free up valuable storage space
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050592.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	10897  
Old 07-16-2008, 07:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
Speculation is that the seat doesn't shift forward like the TJ because of the airbag sensor.
I wonder if they relocated the sensor in the 09s since it tilt and folds?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I know this isnt for adults getting in the back but for the parents out there in 2dr jeep land my son is still in a punkin seat i lay the drivers seat all the way back and put him in the back pass side. pretty easy just have to re adjust the drivers seat when you get in getting adults in there forget about it if it werent for my son there would be no back seat in mine.

Quick Reply: Getting to back seat in a 2-door