Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

A little soft top help needed please

Old 05-06-2008, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A little soft top help needed please

So tonight I finally got to remove the hard top, and put on the soft top. It was actually easier to put on than I expected, but I had a friend help me out who is familiar with them figuring it couldn't hurt. I even got to practice pulling back the sunrider top with the correct folding to make the "W". That leads me to my questions:

a) I did not receive velcro straps to hold the sunrider in place. Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, did the dealership help you get them?

2) I did not receive elastic straps either, to fold up the rear window. Anyone else have to get these from the dealership?

d) I have read on here about people removing the clips that the hard top torx screws actually screw into. How do these come out?

I appreciate the help
Old 05-06-2008, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

baught the velcro straps at home depot for a few bucks, i leave the tabs that the hardtop screws into in place so i don't lose them, and the elastics... well i would say dealership. good luck
Old 05-06-2008, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

You could just leave the top off and install a winshield wiper on the inside.

I personally prefer taking the rear window completely out when I want the back open on the soft top. It's easy to scratch when rolling if you arne't careful. That and I don't put the top up unless it's winter, so rolling it would lead to cracking.. Basically that means I don't use my elastics for the window, but they do help keep my rain suit wrapped up nice.

The velcro straps make a good way to secure your seatbelt to the B-pillar when the doors are off. This way the belts aren't slapping around in the wind.

seriously though... You can pick up velcro from harware stores, craft stores, etc. If you know someone who can sew, and put on snaps, you can get elastic from a fabric store.

I suggest you get your velcro and elastics from the dealer, they owe you them afterall..
Old 05-07-2008, 02:22 AM
JK Newbie

Default Missing Parts

I second that....remove the window. Rolling will just shorten the life, dramatically.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

X3, rolling will seriously scratch that rear window, and that expense is far more than a couple of straps.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:30 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by putnam dan
Its going to scratch its inevitable - in any case there is nothing to see out the back window but the rear of a tire.

Don't forget the 3rd brake light. It's mighty fashionable. I can also see some cars behind me if they're a football field or more away from my rear bumper.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strap -all, make your own straps. then they can be a tad longer, and the velcro is stronger than the factory stuff. you can get it at REI.com, and I am sure at other places as well
Old 05-17-2008, 11:24 AM
JK Newbie

Set up my soft top today for the first time.
They want me to strap the frame to the side through the handy slot in the tub.
Problem is the "nut" the hard top bolts into is in the way.

What other options does everyone use?
Old 05-17-2008, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

At the risk of sounding obvious, did you check the glove box? That's where they come from the factory. And they're black, so you don't pop out at you when you open it up.

Secondly, my back window was pristine for 6 months of on and off until the day I decided to roll it and use the sunrider. What a horror show when I unrolled it 2 days later. Almost totally opaque. A little trail dust will act like 220 grit in there...
Old 05-17-2008, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

I have question I just bought a used soft top, and I was wondering how do you secure the soft-top bracket to the roll bar. Is it just 2 bolts on both sides? Are there any washers or anything else that I will need to know about?

Quick Reply: A little soft top help needed please