Notices
JK Show & Tell Whether they're just poser shots in your driveway or hardcore action shots on the trail, if you've got photos or videos of your Jeep JK Wrangler (or any JK for that matter that you think is worth showing off, inside or out), we want to see them so please post them here! Likewise, if you are wanting to see a photo of something specific like an aftermarket JK part or poser shot with a specific setup, this is the place to ask for it.

Engine swap

Old 08-19-2008, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tambil68
Might take note: The OP is located in Dubai
A very beautiful and very wealthy country. The CEO refuses to be called anything other than a CEO, even though he is more of a king or president, etc.
Awesome thought... There are some really awesome JK's there to.

ps. No laws relate to matching manufacturers, engine, body etc. You are allowed to modify as you wish, with very few limits. One of the reasons we can mod our Jeeps, but the factory can not ( at least is very limited in what they can offer). The factory's limitations are not ours. (thank a tree hugger for these kind of laws/restrictions)
Ah, thanks I didn't notice where he was from....as for what I stated about the engine swap in the USA....I believe your wrong.....California is a good example of this...

"Keeping your engine swap legal is very important. Examine your state's vehicle code or contact the DMV to see what's legal and what's not. In California, the law says that an engine must be of the same year or newer as the car and be California emissions-legal. To avoid any hassles, it should also be of the same engine type that was originally available from the factory in that particular body style. Hmm, that's kind of a problem. Besides sidestepping the law (and we would never do anything like that), there are a couple options. The best is to have your entire car certified by the state by going to your local referee station for examination, testing, and BAR Vehicle Identification Label approval. You can call 800/622-7733 for an appointment. The other option (and definitely more work) is to keep the original engine on hand and swap it back in when you have to make a trip for the smog test, but we don't recommend doing it (legal reasons and all)."

"Most states require that engines can only be replaced by engines of the same or later model-year vehicles. Hence, it is easier to find replacement engines for older cars than for newer cars. Some states keep a record of the engine serial numbers so make sure you update your vehicle registration with the new serial number. "

I heard this originally from the guys at Extreme 4x4 on the recent TJ build they did. Thanks for your opinion

Last edited by x No Compromise Offroad x; 08-19-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

if u can pass emmissions there shouldnt be a problem with swaping out any engine into any car/truck/or jeep. unless the engine is off the back of a truck and u get caught then your screwed, there was a thing with the acura integra's i think its the B-16 or B-18 one of those import engines was a high theft engine
Old 08-19-2008, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Screamin Lizard Customs
Tom from PSC and I talked about doing a LS motor swap, the PCM is the only issue. It may happen in the future though.
how far in the future? I just blew a hole im the block of my 3.8. I was thingking an ls1 would be cool but like you said, PCM is the issue.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

i mean u would lose alot of stuff elec. wise but couldnt u take out the pcm and buy one and a new wiring harness for the engine you want and hook it up? i mean it cant be that hard to do that right?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:57 PM
JK Super Freak

I'd love to have a late model high-perf GM small-block in my JK. But I'd matcu it with a GM tranny. I sure wouldn't trust the stock tranny.
Old 08-20-2008, 03:38 PM
JK Newbie

Ohh thanks a lot guys. To those who laughed at me I'm ganna show them how my JK can beat a Z06 soon and V.soon. My only problem I faced is the adaptor between the transmission and the engine if some one can help I really appreciate it and thanks again.

Last edited by Khalid; 08-20-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would really do a driveline change out if I was going that way.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Khalid

Ohh thanks a lot guys. To those who laughed at me I'm ganna show them how my JK can beat a Z06 soon and V.soon. My only problem I faced is the adaptor between the transmission and the engine if some one can help I really appreciate it and thanks again.
your not gonna beat a ZO6 lol
Old 08-20-2008, 04:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Khalid

PM sent...
Old 08-21-2008, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Need some help guys....

Quick Reply: Engine swap