Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Airbag light

Old 09-22-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mine was bad clockspring

My airbag light was going on.. the one in the instrument cluster. Turned out to be clockspring was bad, causing loss of signal.

My local deal took two days to figure it out, then did not have part, then did not have the tool to remove the steering wheel. (The bad dealership is Maroone in S. FL. They own about 30 dealerships.... If you buy from them and need service... God help you!)

I then drove to Stuart Jeep in FL where I bought the Jeep, best dealership in the state!!! They had the part, saw the error code, and fixed it in 30 minutes....

Anyway... perhaps clockspring could be your problem..

Good luck!
Old 09-22-2008, 08:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is another thread that discussed this. somewhere in here it talks about that it is federally mandated to have the disabling system in place, but it just happens automatically in the 08 models and has no indicator light.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-talk-26/passenger-airbag-shutoff-child-seat-45576/
Old 09-22-2008, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jfreeddo
here is another thread that discussed this. somewhere in here it talks about that it is federally mandated to have the disabling system in place, but it just happens automatically in the 08 models and has no indicator light.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45576
I dont think it happens automatically in the 08's so be careful. Agian my 08 X 2 Door has no electronics going into the passenger seat. As far as the mandate I cant find any info about this new law and if it only applies to vehicles without back seats or all vehicles ? I think on the 08's they just scrapped the disable function all together when they went to the dual stage bags. Pretty much sucks unless someone else can shine some light on it.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

you need a new clock spring. take it to the dealer to get you a new one.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

I was wheelin this weekend and we came out of the trail to drive about 5 miles up hard road to our camp site and my air bag WARNING light came on as I was driving. This wasn't the air bag off light ('07) but I pulled over where we started up the next trail to camp and shut the JK down and restarted it and no more light weird!
Old 10-28-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

My air bag light is going on/off randomly. It just started on the weekend and there doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, but the 'ding' every time it turns on is really annoying. My cruise control also stopped working shortly after so I booked an appt. to have it checked out - when I was booking the guy said he thinks the two are related. Anybody else have this problem?
Old 12-01-2008, 04:06 PM
JK Freak

After working with the air bag system in my 07 I found several things. If your JK has the dual stage air bag then you will have the sensors in your seats. The driver seat only has a sensor saying the location of the seat. The passenger seat has a position sensor and the weight sensor. If you remove the passenger seat, then you will more than likely need to have it recalibrated when you put it back in. Also, if you disconnect any air bag system wire with the power on, you will be going to the dealership to have it reset. When I bought my JK it had a deployed driver air bag. If a bag deploys you will also need to replace the clockspring and seatbelt tensioners. My guess is the clockspring needs replacing.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting write up guys.

I have an '07 and the airbag light on the instrument cluster started a couple days ago. We have had a lot of snow and extremely cold weather (0F) lately, so I just assumed that the problem had to do with the conditions. But, after reading some of these posts, I will make an appointment and find out what is going on.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

My 09 does not even has a passenger side airbag light, i have put different weight things in the seat to see if it had one nad it does not .

Quick Reply: Airbag light