Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Airbag light

Old 09-21-2008, 06:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light

So I was driving down the road and the airbag light came. What would cause that to come on? I was having some issues with my ESP BAS light but I recentered my steering wheel and I think that fix the problem with that light, could the 2 be related?
Old 09-21-2008, 01:23 PM
JK Freak

No clue for sure. My airbag light came on last year and is still on. I noticed it after taking out all of my seats to take it to get Line-X put in the interior. When I put them back in it did not reset. One of these days I will take it to the dealer to get it fixed.
Let us know what you find out.

Jeff
Old 09-21-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Funny you should mention this as I was JUST talking to my neighbor who is a Dodge,Chrysler,Jeep mechanic. I asked him how he liked the new JK. He stated he really liked it but was disappointed in the new engine and preferred the old straight six - just like the rest of the world.

I specifically asked him if he saw a REOCCURRING problem on the JKs. He thought about it and the only thing he mentioned was the light for the passenger seat air bag sensor. He stated the passenger seat is set up to register different weights of passengers and then the air bag on that side either does not deploy in an accident or deploys at a different rate depending on the weight of the passenger. He said they have a series of "seat weights" they use to re-calibrate the system and it only takes about ten minutes.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and, thus, in the 08's they took the light completely out, so that it doesn't even show when the airbag is disabled. that spot is just blank now, no lights to come on.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:06 PM
JK Freak

I wish I could get mine to come on, so I know it works and actually turns off when I put my kids in the seat there .... man.

How did you get it to turn on?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Put something fairly light weight in the passenger seat, start the JK, look down and it should be on. My camera bag makes the light go on everytime it is my passenger, which is all the time!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:04 AM
JK Newbie

When i first got my jk the airbag light started coming on soon after all the lights in the dash would come on and stay on. I ended up taking it to the stealership and they had to reset the comp.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rubiconjack
I wish I could get mine to come on, so I know it works and actually turns off when I put my kids in the seat there .... man.

How did you get it to turn on?
it appears that you have an 08. as i mentioned a couple posts above, they took the indicator light out of the 08 models. so, you can't get the light to come on becasue it's not there.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:37 AM
JK Freak

ohhhhhhh okay .. I missed that .. haha ...

darnit!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

I just had my 08' X at the dealership and I was asking about the passenger airbag disable and how I was confused that the 07's have a indicator but none on the 08's. The head mechanic thought it was a good question and wasnt sure so he started researching it for me. I guess there is 2 different systems on the wrangers either a pressure switch on the seat tracks or sensors built into the seats. My 08 has neither and doesnt appear to have any electronics hooked into the seat what so ever ? Jeep did go to a dual stage airbag in 08 so it appears they may have eliminated the disable altogether. Does anybody out there have a 08 with the indicator light still in it ?

Quick Reply: Airbag light