Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Hardtop hoist/storage write-up

Old 05-18-2008, 04:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Complete For Hoist with Track - & Tested

OK, I had a request for updated pics...

Here are just the rails installed in the ceiling.

The #10 Hex-Head screws installed at 12 to 24 inches with washers, & pre-drilled the ceiling joists.

Full install with the "standard T-Frame," except I used straps instead of hooks to hold the top. I will need to file the ends so they don't cut the straps.

Here's the thing with the top. Note my shelf is very high, so I must tilt it a bit to get the back on the shelf.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the updated pix. I like it very much.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm waiting on my JK to be built, to I'm trying to plan ahead, cause the first thing I want to do is take the hardtop off. I don't really have a garage that I can use since we use it for the "dog room" and it's full of my wood working junk. So, until I can get a real garage built, I'm going to have to use a tiny carport, and it's hardly considered a carport. The space is wide enough to back my YJ into to keep the elements out with folding the mirrors in.

Can someone provide width of a stock JK Unlimited Sahara, the expected the minimum distance from where the tailgate comes up to the front where the balance point for the eyehook and the minimum height that the top needs to be lifted to cover any obstructions (bars/sound bar, etc)

Thanks!

--Brian
Old 06-01-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Newbie

Looks great! Now all I need is a hard top...
Old 06-11-2008, 03:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I must say....DANG this is turning out to be a big project. At least I'm having fun and using tools that I got a while ago and really haven't used. So far the trips have been:
2 to Home Depot which isn't really close...Sucks living in Lowe's Land
1 to Lowes...I live in the City that Lowes is moving the HQ to and this has to be the dirties/crapiest/worse selection store I have ever seen
1 to a Local Hardware store since I didn't want to go to Home Depot...
Oh and one to Harbor Freight...

As for time, it's been three nights worth and I think one more night to finish up. I decided to use a 110v hoist cause I'm just lazy....and thought it would be cool. I don't have a lot of wall space left in the garage to put a manual hoist.

I guess I'm on target to be able to take the top off this weekend...it's about time...The softtop is really in the way and I'd like to either get it out of JK or put up.

I think I'm also making more work for myself...Not really sure, just seems like it.

It has been lots of fun....looking forward to more JK projects, trying to figure out what's next!
Old 06-12-2008, 08:52 AM
JK Freak

this is by far the cleanest i've seen. i actually stumbled on this post before i purchased my JK as removing and storing the top was a quick concern of mine. great write up! i'll def do this when i get a bigger garage and have the clearance. for now she sits on the floor on skids...
Old 06-19-2008, 11:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just wanted to personally thank you for your writeup on the JK hardtop hoist. I followed your instruction and part's list and it worked out perfectly. You saved me a lot of money and I thank you very much for that.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 06-20-2008, 02:47 AM
JK Jedi

Good job!!
Old 06-20-2008, 03:51 AM
JK Super Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00005a.jpg
Views:	2447
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	10187

Here is how I am storing mine. Greabbed the idea from someone else here. Works great and in the wintertime I can just raise it up and store my softtop on it with other things!
Old 06-21-2008, 01:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

How about attaching some aircraft hooks into the top itself? These loops clip on and off and are used in jetliners - each loop has a rating of 1000lbs if I recall. Iodize the 'channel' or track black, get some aluminum backer countersink it and screw to the top - use the "T" as built here and just hook in the loops..maybe make the "T" into box and have four hooks....with the loops off when the hardtop is on, the 'channel' attached to the roof would not be seen as it is pretty low profile..3/8inch thick...especially with a jeep with a 3inch lift and 35s ...

http://my.project-jk.com/showphoto.php?photo=25476

http://my.project-jk.com/showphoto.php?photo=25475

Last edited by JEEPJK; 06-21-2008 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Hardtop hoist/storage write-up