Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Tire Pressure Monitor saying to inflate a tire after deep snow

Old 12-09-2013, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure Monitor saying to inflate a tire after deep snow

Went through a few feet of snow in my 13 JKUR after hitting the slopes. The passenger side tires were the ones in the snow, the front driver side tire is now saying that it needs to be inflated. My tire pressure for all tires was somewhere in between 33-36 (different altitudes and temperatures). Has anyone had this problem, and should I really even worry since the PSI is the same? This was over the weekend and it still is showing that it needs to be inflated.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

33psi is low to the computer, unless you bought some type of programmer to alter the warning pressure.
Old 12-09-2013, 09:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hooper
33psi is low to the computer, unless you bought some type of programmer to alter the warning pressure.
All of them were at like 33 psi. now they are all over 35 and its still going off.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:16 PM
JK Freak

According to the owner's manual in my '09, the alert is activated if the pressure drops to more than ONE POUND below the tires' max rating.

For me, that annoyance translates into keeping my stock SR-As at 44 psi. (Can't get a Procal soon enough!)
Old 12-10-2013, 02:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you check the spare?
Old 12-10-2013, 03:11 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by airforce26yrs
Did you check the spare?
spare does not effect anything.

I found that once you drop 4psi below the recommend pressure (on mine it is 37psi 14 jkur) it will trigger the dash light. The only way to get it to reset is to inflate all tires back up to 37psi. once it resets you can again drop down to 33 psi and it won't trigger until one goes below 32psi. cold of course makes pressure drop. I have an aev procal and have set mine not to trigger until 21 psi. I normally run at 30psi on the street.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iiM RuSHiN
Went through a few feet of snow in my 13 JKUR after hitting the slopes. The passenger side tires were the ones in the snow, the front driver side tire is now saying that it needs to be inflated. My tire pressure for all tires was somewhere in between 33-36 (different altitudes and temperatures). Has anyone had this problem, and should I really even worry since the PSI is the same? This was over the weekend and it still is showing that it needs to be inflated.
33-36 psi seems high, especially on snow.
~30 psi would be better for road (better for the tires and more comfy). Less than that for snow.

My Jeep is programmed to start nagging at 5 psi or so, so it never "complains" when aired down for offroading.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:53 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by GJeep
33-36 psi seems high, especially on snow.
~30 psi would be better for road (better for the tires and more comfy). Less than that for snow.

My Jeep is programmed to start nagging at 5 psi or so, so it never "complains" when aired down for offroading.
ditto, I guess jeep is setting psi so high for mpg but I do not notice any difference between 28-30psi and 35-37psi other then it rides and handles 10X better at 28-30psi. .
Old 12-10-2013, 05:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 159 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by airforce26yrs
Did you check the spare?
I thought the spare was part of the system, but learned otherwise. I had a puncture on my left rear. I swapped that out with the spare and drove it for a few days with zero pressure on the spare. The warning light did not come on. It was working because the warning light did come on when the rear tire first became flat. This is on a 2012.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:17 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jadmt
ditto, I guess jeep is setting psi so high for mpg but I do not notice any difference between 28-30psi and 35-37psi other then it rides and handles 10X better at 28-30psi. .
It's the tire manufacturers. For some reason, they recommend pressures which are way over what chalk tests show as the psi which makes the tread sit flat.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor saying to inflate a tire after deep snow