Notices
Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler Overall Jeep TJ & YJ Wrangler technical discussion bulletin board forum. This includes all Jeep Wranglers made between 1987-2006 and includes models such as the Unlimited, Rubicon, Sahara, Sport and X.

YJ Questions please help!

Old 07-01-2007, 06:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YJ Questions please help!

Gotta question for ya'll and hopefully you can at least point me in the right directions.

I have a 1990 Jeep Wrangler YJ with
-Ford 8.8 Rear Axle (3.27 ratio with Limited slip)
-Dana 30 Front Axle (4.10 open diff)
GM 700R4 Transmission
NP231 GM t-case (no linkage :sad: )
BLOWN UP GM small block (either 305 or 350)
Griffin Aluminum Radiator
American Racing Outlaw II rims
33x12.50 PRO Comp mud terrains (dang near brand new in excellent shape)
Edlebrock Performer Intake & 4 barrel carb (in good shape)

I purchased my heep from a friend in desperate need of getting rid of it for $1,000.00

I know the market and this was a fair price in my book. the rims and tires alone are worth that.

the body is straight save one dent in the front passenger fender. Completely RUST free and the frame is good.

Anyways, now that everybody knows what I have and what I'm dealing with I got a couple questions to lay out there

1) How feasible would it be to buy a set of 1/2 ton matching axles from a GM and stick under the YJ?

2) I can get a 78 Chevy 4x4 that runs and 4wd works for around $500, anybody thinking what I'm thinking? I could swap the running gear parts I wanted out of it and use the linkage and/or the T-case from it and get my heep on the trails faster.

3) Do the top two options make more sense than regearing the dana or Ford axle I have, scrounging a junkyard for my 4wd linkage, getting a front driveshaft cut (its not there) and pretty much going through the whole thing and fixing what I've got. Cause I gotta be honest, I really don't wanna fool with all that.

Any websites or personal experiences would be appreciated...
Old 07-02-2007, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ccdjeep
1) How feasible would it be to buy a set of 1/2 ton matching axles from a GM and stick under the YJ?
You really are not gaining much in running 1/2 ton axles to warrant the work, unless you want to go full width but then for the price of the 1/2 tons, you could run 3/4 ton 44 front, and 60 rear.

If the 8.8 is from an explorer, you could just run a waggy 44 in front and be done. again, unless you want to go full width.

Or just regear the 8.8 to match the front 30, Probably the easiest (but would rather have a 44 in front because of the V-8

2) I can get a 78 Chevy 4x4 that runs and 4wd works for around $500, anybody thinking what I'm thinking? I could swap the running gear parts I wanted out of it and use the linkage and/or the T-case from it and get my heep on the trails faster.
yes, swap out the motor, get the linkage, and sell the left overs parts you will not need. Although I would keep your 700R4, unless the 78 has a T350 trans (basically the same trans except the 700 has overdrive) if it wil be strictly a trail Jeep, use the T-350, if will see road time use the 700R4

3) Do the top two options make more sense than regearing the dana or Ford axle I have, scrounging a junkyard for my 4wd linkage, getting a front driveshaft cut (its not there) and pretty much going through the whole thing and fixing what I've got. Cause I gotta be honest, I really don't wanna fool with all that.

Any websites or personal experiences would be appreciated...
I really don't know what you have planned for the Jeep, as far as tire size, what kind of trails you will be running etc... I just have given suggestions, don't know if it was much help but.........

Quick Reply: YJ Questions please help!