Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Can I Overload My Battery?

Old 10-10-2008, 05:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I Overload My Battery?

In addition to the normal functions, my battery is powering 6 aux lights, a high-powered amplifier, subs, winch, rear camera, nav system, alarm, ipod, elockers, trailer lights and probably some other stuff I can't think of right now. My question is, do I need to worry about my equipment malfunctioning because of an overload or will my battery just die one day and all the accessories be fine when I put in a new one? Also, should I consider adding a second battery?
Old 10-11-2008, 04:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

um..yeah
run a second battery
Old 10-11-2008, 04:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeBlob
In addition to the normal functions, my battery is powering 6 aux lights, a high-powered amplifier, subs, winch, rear camera, nav system, alarm, ipod, elockers, trailer lights and probably some other stuff I can't think of right now. My question is, do I need to worry about my equipment malfunctioning because of an overload or will my battery just die one day and all the accessories be fine when I put in a new one? Also, should I consider adding a second battery?
This is an interesting question. How about the alternator? At what point is it necessary to upgrade that, too?

BTW, JoeBlob, my oldest son, who is visiting me here in OKC this weekend, lives in Cumming.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:28 AM
JK Freak

When I had my TJ I was looking into get a mean green alternator. That might be something worth looking into.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:20 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
This is an interesting question. How about the alternator? At what point is it necessary to upgrade that, too?
:
Very good question; I would install a 140 amps alternator
Old 10-11-2008, 06:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default overload

the short answer would be yeah. If u were to try to run all that electrical stuff at the same time and ur engine was not running or the alternator was not working properly.

In actual operating conditions u are probably not running all those electrical accessories at the same time and u are probably under power with your alternator operating correctly. As long as ur power consumption does not exceed the amperage rating of the alternator u are not drawing power from the battery. The battery is merely a storage unit for power made by your alternator.

If your amperage draw is exceeding the output in amps (117) of your alternator then yes u could conceivably draw all the power out of your battery and be dead in your tracks. You can upgrade I saw one on the internet that puts out 200 amps.

otherwise ur battery is one day gonna take a crap, just like all batteries some sooner than others depending on a vast majority of factors. One factor is vibration. One factor is how well that battery is maintained. I knew a fellow that had corrosion problems at the cable ends and instead of cleaning the corrosion he'd hit the cable ends with a hammer to get a good connection he very quickly killed that battery. the posts broke loose from the plates and it will not work too good like that. Good luck with all that electric stuff. just don't turn it on all together too much u might have issues with electromagnetic waves when u get old. Same for folks that live too close to high voltage power lines.

Last edited by hawgrider1200; 10-11-2008 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:29 PM
dsy
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Frog Rubicon
Um, pretty sure the JK comes with a 160amp alt

Last edited by dsy; 10-11-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog Rubicon
Not a good idea, as the JK comes stock with a 160 amp alternator. At least our 2007 4dr did.
I guess it would be possible to have the alternator re-wound to provide 200 amps, however as with all aftermarket high output alternators, something will have to be sacrificed. Normally, unless you are willing to spend in the $800- $1200 range for a custom alternator, higher output alternators require a higher RPM to deliver the higher output (and they will generate more heat), which means at the lower RPM the alternator would be outputting less amps than the stock one.
Chances are you will not be using all your aux equipment at the same time so the stock alternator should be adiquate at recharging the battery.
I would look into a dual battery setup with a good isolator. The batteries should be Optima's or better. As for the audio system, if you don't already have, look into some capacitors to keep it up to snuff. Your local audio dealers can help you in that area.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:08 AM
JK Freak

Thanks for the feedback guys!

I think I'm going to go with Lorrel's plan of attack and run dual Optima's with an isolator. Maybe put the audio, lockers and winch on one battery and leave everyting else on the other one.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:52 AM
JK Newbie

Get a deep cycle battery and you shouldn't have to touch your alternator. A standard car battery is designed to provide a surge of power for a short period of time, like during ignition. But a deep cycle battery can supply a steady rate of power for a long period of time. A deep cycle battery can also be run all the way down and recharged unlike a standard car battery that would be ruined by completely draining and recharging. Optima makes them (yellow top) but you can find other manufacturers just make sure it has the right post setup for you.

Conclusion get two deep cycle batteries and hook them up in tandem. This will give you the cranking power you need for start up and all the residual power you could ever want.

Don't try to hook up the old battery with a new deep cycle. The stronger battery will drain the other and battery management goes out the window.

Quick Reply: Can I Overload My Battery?