Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Oil Pan Removal / Installation

Old 04-06-2016, 02:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did mine Saturday. So far I believe it fixed my leak. But one thing I didn't realize is you need to wait 24 hours to put the oil in after you tighten everything up so that the rtv gasket caulk can set.
Old 04-06-2016, 06:08 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by mountain pee
But one thing I didn't realize is you need to wait 24 hours to put the oil in after you tighten everything up so that the rtv gasket caulk can set.
Some people recommend waiting 24 hours.
Personally, I have never waited beyond finishing the installation, and putting away the tools.
Old 06-19-2016, 12:41 AM
JK Newbie

Hi all,
I really need to do this this weekend......so just want to clarify something.
Now I may be being a little dense here but can someone please confirm which bolts are which on the transmission dust cover (cover to transmission bolts/cover to oil pan bolts) as I don't want to **** up the torque sequence.
Many thanks
Old 06-23-2016, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

What if I only want to change out the lower section (black part)? Is there a different gasket cuz the dealership gave me the gasket that is shown in the write up.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for this posting... Had to change out the gasket due to a slow oil leak. Your instructions were perfect and easy to follow. Thanks again...
Old 04-28-2018, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JackMac4
Part 1 - Drain Your Oil

[SIZE="3"]Part 2 - Oil Pan Removal[/SIZE]
6. Once the oil has completely drained from your Jeep JK, begin the oil pan removal by first removing the transmission dust cover. Using a 15mm socket, remove all 7 bolts from the dust cover.

7. Once the bolts are removed, carefully lower the structural dust cover and set aside.

8. Using a 10mm socket, remove the 2 front nuts from the upper oil pan.

9. Continue by removing all the 16 remaining bolts. You can see the bolt locations in this overhead shot of the oil pan.

8. Using a gasket scraper, clean the entire bottom of your crankshaft housing. There are 4 locations of RTV sealant that help keep the oil pan gasket in place.

9. Be sure to clean all loose dirt, debris, and RTV sealant from the entire area.

Part 3 - Oil Pan Installation
9. Begin the installation of your new oil pan by placing a 1/8 bead of RTV sealant in the 4 places indicated in the photo. These beads help keep the oil pan gasket in place.

10. Place the oil pan gasket on top of the oil pan and raise the oil pan into place.

11. Secure the oil pan with the bolts you removed earlier by hand tightening them. Also place the 2 front nuts back on the front also tightening by hand. Once hand tightened, using an in lb torque wrench, tighten all bolts and nuts to 105 in lbs.

CAUTION: The structural dust cover must be installed as described in the following steps. Failure to do so will cause severe damage to the cover or the oil pan.
12. Position the structural dust cover in its place.
13. Install the bolts retaining the cover-to-oil pan. Do NOT tighten!

14. Install the cover-to-transmission bolts. Do NOT tighten!
15. Holding the structural dust cover in place tightly against the engine and transmission bell housing, tighten the two cover-to-transmission bolts to less than 25 in lbs. The cover must be flush to the transmission bellhousing machined surface.
16. Starting with the cover-to-oil pan bolts, tighten bolts to 40 ft lbs.

16. Now finish with re-tightening the cover-to-transmission bolts to 40 ft lbs.

Part 4- Finishing Up
17. Replace the oil level indicator and fill with 6 qts of oil.
18. Lower your vehicle and start to ensure that there are no oil leaks.

Enjoy your new dent-free oil pan! Maybe next it's time to install an oil pan skid!?

I used your tutorial to do my oil pan gasket replacement. Well I have a question I cannot really find any info from my Fel Pro OP gasket. It came with an Oil Pickup Tube Gasket. I missed it hidden in the box. Question is it looks like it is too small to fit in my 2010JKU But I wanted your thoughts for if I need to take all this apart again and put it in there? If I can fit it. Thanks for the photos and instructions. Very helpful!
Old 05-28-2018, 04:00 PM
JK Newbie

Default Torque specs

For all looking for bolt torque specs, basically all the bolts that are the same size have around the same spec. No need for arguments, I'm saying this because of folks mistaking in-lbs with ft-lbs. Be smart, an M6 or M8 bolt would never take more than 30 ft-lbs, too small, use your lugs on you wheels as examples, 100 ft-lbs, they are big!

Here's torque specs for a smaller Jeep but should be the same
Upper Oil Pan M6 Bolt12 ft-lbs
Upper Oil Pan M8 Bolt23 ft-lbs
Torque specs are about the bolts, not what you are screwing it into.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:35 PM
JK Newbie

Can anyone help me with a 2016 Jeep Wrangler write-up on how to do this same installation I heard the torq specs and Installation is some what different please thanks !!!

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Removal / Installation