Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roller Fairlead with Synthetic Rope?

Old 10-16-2008, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Location: Los Angeles, California, United States, United States
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roller Fairlead with Synthetic Rope?

Any thoughts out there on using a roller fairlead with synthetic rope? I have seen it done, but I understand the potential problem with pinching the rope in between the rollers. I want to keep the rollers to mount my license plate since there is nowhere else to put it.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:23 AM
JK Newbie

You can use a roller fairlead with synthetic rope, but be careful that the rollers a close together.
There may be a problem if your pulls are often through the "corners" as the rope gets kind of squared, but when strain is off the rope will re-find its former shape.
With the non roller fairleads you can still mount your license plate.
Fit a hinge and lock plate with magnets or you can use a plastic clip, as on the rollers, just squeezed inside the oblong hole instead of outside on the rollers.
There was a company that offered that "clip", but I can not find the link anymore.

Last edited by 2stoned; 10-16-2008 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

I'm pretty sure I saw a fairlead for rope in one of the catalorues.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Typical rollers will catch the rope if it's not a straight on pull. Remember under load the rope will compress a little. Better off finding another solution for the license plate since if you need to use the winch it's a undeeded risk.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:32 AM
JK Freak

http://www.winchline.com/fairleads.htm

Last edited by Robar; 10-16-2008 at 08:34 AM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST DIRECT NON SPONSOR LINKS
Old 10-16-2008, 08:01 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with a hawse fairlead. A roller fairlead might work, but it may also ruin your expensive rope. You can turn around and sell your roller fairlead for as much or more as the hawse fairlead.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

if you insist on using a roller fairlead, make sure it is new or in like new condition; any nicks or gouges can act like razors on your rope.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by silver rubicon
if you insist on using a roller fairlead, make sure it is new or in like new condition; any nicks or gouges can act like razors on your rope.
Ditto!! It won't take much of a burr on a roller to jack up your rope.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:53 PM
JK Super Freak

I spoke to Thor at Winchline and he feels the supposed requirement for a hawse fairlead was a myth. When I bought my synthetic line from him I was willing to drop the dollars for a Hawse and he talked me out of it. Bill Burke of Bill Burke 4 Wheeling America has been running sythetic since it first became available and has roller fairleads on both his rigs.

The only caveat with a roller fairlead is not to use one that has been cut by extensive wire use.

As I recall Thor at Winchline said that a roller fairlead was much easier on the rope.
Old 10-18-2008, 07:19 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

you'll forgive me but the whole roller fairlead thing and them pinching the rope is nothing more than an old wives tale. at least, i have never seen it happen, i have never seen it coming close to happening and yes, i am speaking from experience. i have been using my viking winchline for years on a roller fairlead and extensively and even on EXTREME side pulls for hours on end. in fact, thanks to the fact that rollers extend as far out as it does, they actually make extreme side pulls more possible to do than with a hawse which is practially mounted flush on your bumper. the ONLY thing you need to make sure of is that IF you use the existing steel rollers, they have not been used with wire rope in the past. as mentioned, any damage, abrassions or flaws in it will damage your synth line. if this is the case, you can buy a set of replacement thermoplastic rollers like these:

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...=VIKING-ROLLER

this is what i use and without any problems.

Quick Reply: Roller Fairlead with Synthetic Rope?