Notices
Camping & Hiking General discussion forum regarding all things camping or hiking including hiking trails, great places to camp, camping or hiking gear and anything related to hiking or camping.

Any backpackers out there?

Old 04-11-2007, 02:04 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any backpackers out there?

I figured I share this with any one interested in an ultralight backpacking stove for pennies. Most of you jeep guys like making $hit so here is a fun project for you. It is an alcohol burning soda/beer can stove. It boils a pint of H2O in about 4 minutes with a 1/2 ounce of denatured alcohol. You can also use HEAT, an automotive fuel line product to keep you from freezing up. I took this on my last backpacking trip in the Sierra Nevada Mountains and it worked like a champ. The stove weighs like an ounce and lasts forever, no moving parts, if you don't step on it.LOL Long distance hikers like them because you can find fuel in any hardware or paint store. If you want more info on how to make one, let me know!

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is one in action!

[IMG][/IMG]

I had so much fun making them I made a crap load. Also made a wind screen/pot stand that all rolls up and fits in my titanium cook pot.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-11-2007, 02:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll take the "monster"
Old 04-11-2007, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

OK I'm just getting started in Hiking/backpacking/mountain biking. How exactly does it work, and how do you make one?

BTW, this is awesome.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya, i would like to make some, reminds me of my cannon building days with cans , duct tape and lighter fluid
Old 04-11-2007, 02:39 PM
JK Jedi

Kind of what sonic said. I used to backpack with everything including the kitchen sink. 60 to 80 lbs on my back. By the time I got to where I was going I was dead. In the last couple of years I been trying to do the ultralight thing. (Which I highly recomend) Some guys get their paclk weight down to 10lbs plus food and water(which depending how plentiful the water is where you are hiking isn't much. You can spend $50 on a light canister stove and carry the canisters which I have to say is a good way to go. Long through hikers find it hard to find fuel in small towns so alot of them carry these. I used mine for the fun of it because I made it and it worked really well. When you adapt to the lightweight method of backpacking, you are just pretty much boiling water to make soups, top ramen, lirton noodles and sauce etc. and you eat right out of zip lock bags. No dishes to mess with etc. It's cool to make them. I will take some pictures later of my whole set up, pot windscreen(made out of metal gutter flashing, and even a pouch made to keep things hot that need to be simmered. It is all alot of fun, and if youy are just getting into backpacking it really is a good way to go. Really, the only expensive thing to get is a good down sleeping bag and the rest of the stuff you can put together yourself. Dont run to REI and blow lots of money on stuff you just have to lug up a hill.
I will post some websites to help you get going on one of these stoves and then I can show you some things I did to make them cleaner.

Sorry for rambling, I like backpacking almost as much as Jeeps. I guess I just dig the outdoors!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:43 PM
JK Jedi

Here is a good one to get you going. Scroll down to see the many options.

http://zenstoves.net/BasicTopBurner.htmu

Last edited by Rubimon; 10-09-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My backpack has a big "W" on the side. I'll refrain from telling you what I carry.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Wow guys, thanks for the tips. I'm not really at the level of eating berries for a month in the middle on nowhere , but I really appreciate the advice.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:57 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubimon
I figured I share this with any one interested in an ultralight backpacking stove for pennies.
My son and I made a similar stove from an Altoids tin, mesh screen and Perlite. We then used sheet metal to make a small box to carry it in--it has two doors that open up to reveal the stove, and the doors then support a pot above the stove. I'll have to take a picture of it and post it.

If anyone needs Perlite, let me know--I have a huge bag of the stuff!

If interested, here's our SummitPost home pages:

Curtis (Summiting Touch-Me-Not Mtn)

Mark (Exiting the Ouachita Trail)

And here's Curtis last summer at Black Canyon of the Gunnison, CO:

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 04-11-2007 at 06:00 PM.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:54 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, these stoves are FANTASTIC! PLease let me know how to make one, my son will flip!

Rock on

Quick Reply: Any backpackers out there?