Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

33" tires vs 35" tires

Old 10-22-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 33" tires vs 35" tires

I put a 2" lift and 35" Mickey Thompson ATs on my sahara and in daily driving it seemed that the engine had some trouble pushing the tires. It would rev high even on slight inclines (but the tires looked great!). I swapped them out for 33" versions and it seems to run a little better but not as good as I expected. I would like in the near future to put in an air intake and a better exhaust pipes to get a little more HP. Would that normalize the performance with the 35" tires? As far as taking it off-road which size performs better? Any suggestions or advice welcome. I am going to check tire pressure and see if it rides better at pressure recommended on the fourm.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 04:54 PM
JK Junkie

What is making you extremely sluggish is your gear ratio. You need taller gears to compensate for your tire size.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the same tire with 4:10 gears.
Its not bad but would like to say the Cold Air Intake made a difference to me,not huge but it will take care of the little sluggish at the bottom on the pedal.
I also changed to 89 octane from 87 and another big difference for me,a much better pick up now

I think most change to 4:88 gears.I might some day but its okay for now
Old 10-22-2008, 10:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Don't dink with minor crap; just get the gears done. 5.13 if automatic and 4.88 if stick. Life will be good again.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Gears, Gears, Gears.... Then programer to calibrate the auto tranny
Old 10-23-2008, 12:05 AM
JK Freak

X4 - W/ an auto, a gear swap is a must!

35's and 5.13's and you will love your JK like never before
Old 10-23-2008, 12:51 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ZoSo-Green
X4 - W/ an auto, a gear swap is a must!

x5. I know gears are expensive, but you pay to play.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree on the gears i put 513s in my Sahara auto. SWEET NOW. But my new Rubicon auto has the same 410s as my Sahara did but it handled the 35BFGs better? Can somebody Explain that one. It is like i did not change tire size
Old 10-23-2008, 03:15 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by drievisjen
I put a 2" lift and 35" Mickey Thompson ATs on my sahara and in daily driving it seemed that the engine had some trouble pushing the tires. It would rev high even on slight inclines (but the tires looked great!). I swapped them out for 33" versions and it seems to run a little better but not as good as I expected. I would like in the near future to put in an air intake and a better exhaust pipes to get a little more HP. Would that normalize the performance with the 35" tires? As far as taking it off-road which size performs better? Any suggestions or advice welcome. I am going to check tire pressure and see if it rides better at pressure recommended on the fourm.

Thanks
Like the other jeepers told you, you need at least 4.1 ratio.
Personally, I'm not ready to change my 33" tires for 35" because the gas in Quebec is too expensive, and also, 33" is just perfect for off-roading with 4.1 ratio.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ZoSo-Green

Tis true. Recntly I was out with a Range Rover and Disco, both of which are V8's, and climbing steep hills I could hear them working and with 5.13's, 35's, auto, and 4:1 low box I climbed effortlessly. And when set up for a week long outing I'm heavy.

FWIW I find the tendency of RR's to lift their left front while climbing under throttle amusing. It's almost as amusing as watching FJ Cruisers totter thru obstacles on the left front and right rear tires or their right front and left rear. The more I'm around other vehicles the more I think the JK is the way to go. The JK does a damn fine job of keeping its rubber on terra firma.

Quick Reply: 33" tires vs 35" tires