Notices
JK Electrical, Lighting & Sound Systems Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as stereo head units, CD players, MP3 players, speaker systems, amplifiers, hardmounted GPS devices, computers, headlight upgrades, fog lights, off-road lights, general wiring and anti-theft devices.

Turn signal aggrivation...

Old 10-05-2008, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal issue...

When I activate the right turn signal the light flashes really fast in the dash, but only sometimes. Sometimes it will flash fast right when I first start the engine. Other times it'll do it miles down the road. Sometimes I'll be turning and the signal will work well, then after like 10 flashes it'll start going fast.

I've isolated it to the right rear, so, I put a brand new bulb in it. Sometimes it works normal, sometimes it does the fast flash. My buddy says it's the "flasher" going bad. Where the heck is the flasher and how do I replace it?

Last edited by SW4006; 10-05-2008 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well your not going to like this.... There is no flasher in the new JK's it controlled by the main CPU. The ticking sound from the flasher when it is on usually comes from the flasher units points opening and closing. But in the JK it is coming from a speaker in the gage cluster in the dash..

My advice is to take it to the dealer.....
Old 10-05-2008, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! To the deal I will go.
Old 10-05-2008, 01:59 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Usually, bad blinker behavior can be traced to a bad ground at a bulb socket.
See if the dealer even considers that.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine does the same thing. It started about 3 weeks ago. I thought the same, bulb was out. Then I was going to the dealer for something else and I hit the turn signal and it was working fine. It just started doing the fastblink again. I checked the bulb and it's fine. Let me know what they say to you. I'm taking mine next week...I'm thinking bad relay maybe?
Old 10-05-2008, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll be scheduling it this week. Luckily for me I don't have any abs or esp right now either. I also don't have a rear windshield wiper. I wonder what's next.

I don't plan on bringing it back home until it's all fixed. I'll let you know.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

your bulbs have a cracked filament. Pull it out and look at it- it looks perfect. turn on your turn signal and then ''flick'' the bulb in the socket, it will speed up as you break contact at that socket or it will slow down as the filament makes contact again. The road surface vibrating the bulb element as you drive causes the varying behavior.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

hope issue gets resolved. keep us informed
Old 10-06-2008, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Tinman,

I thought the same thing. When I replaced the orognial bulb I flicked the living trash out of it and I couldn't get it to the point where I could tell if the filament was broken. I'm certain it is a good bulb.

Having said that, I may eat my words, because I did not put the bulb in the driver side to see if it does it on that side. (Troubleshooting 101)

THanks for the insight.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a similar issue also. It turned out to be my trailer wiring harness. It had LED's to let you know it was working right. Well one of them burnt out and was pulling a lot of current. It melted the plug really bad. I was going crazy trying to figure it out until I looked down and said "That doesn't look right" When I touched the plug it was really hot. Removed it and it been flashing normal since. I just have a standard plug on their now. No Special LED's

Quick Reply: Turn signal aggrivation...