Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rough Idle (recent)

Old 10-29-2008, 05:18 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cmpmacchia

So Hellbound13, did you try cleaning the throttle body? If so did it work?
No awaiting the throttle cleaner to arrive by mail. Check your PM box.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mechanics thoughs on the soot build up.

I spoke to my Fire Department mechanic about the soot build up on the throttle body. He said that the 10% ethanol added to the fuel is the cause of the soot. He recommended the 3M™ Do-It-Yourself Fuel System Tune-Up Kit, 08963. It is a kit that included everything that is plastic safe. He said to do this at least at every other oil change or every 6 months. This came from a ASE certified mechanic. Now if we take this as good sound advise its entirely up to you. I bought the 3M kit and used it and my Jeep is like night and day. It has all the original pep it used to have and it purrs like a kitten. I had 18,000 miles on mine. Chris
Old 11-01-2008, 06:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by csims723
I spoke to my Fire Department mechanic about the soot build up on the throttle body. He said that the 10% ethanol added to the fuel is the cause of the soot. He recommended the 3M™ Do-It-Yourself Fuel System Tune-Up Kit, 08963. It is a kit that included everything that is plastic safe. He said to do this at least at every other oil change or every 6 months. This came from a ASE certified mechanic. Now if we take this as good sound advise its entirely up to you. I bought the 3M kit and used it and my Jeep is like night and day. It has all the original pep it used to have and it purrs like a kitten. I had 18,000 miles on mine. Chris
Where did you purchase this kit. PM me if you have to.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:12 PM
JK Jedi

Just google it, it comes right up.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Just google it, it comes right up.
Are you going to try it Hellbound13? I was wondering if it was available at a local dealer. I really want to solve this idle issue!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by MaloCS
A question for you guys:

Is it possible this rough idle is caused by the "winter" blends of gasoline that are starting to hit the market throughout the US?
No, I don't think so. My wifes Suzuki SX4 does not have this issue and we fill up at the same gas stations. My Dads vehicles are unaffected as well. Just seems to happen with our Jk's. Plus mine started in the spring.
Good question though!
Old 11-01-2008, 09:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

No, I don't think so. My wifes Suzuki SX4 does not have this issue and we fill up at the same gas stations. My Dads vehicles are unaffected as well. Just seems to happen with our Jk's. Plus mine started in the spring.
Good question though!
Cmpmacchia; anyway you could capture the sound of your rough idle and post it to the group? Or is it not that pronounced?
Old 11-01-2008, 09:47 PM
JK Jedi

Are you going to try it Hellbound13? I was wondering if it was available at a local dealer. I really want to solve this idle issue!
Yeah Im ordering it. Seems better than the throttle cleaner alone. Mine started in the nice weather as well. Happens mostly in park. Im thinking its not even a cleaning issue, its probably bad wires or plugs.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by turtoni
Cmpmacchia; anyway you could capture the sound of your rough idle and post it to the group? Or is it not that pronounced?
Hi turtoni
Unfortunately its not something you'll be able to pick up on video, your right, its not that pronounced. Slight hiccups you can feel through the steering wheel, it feels like a slight missfire but the tach remains stable. Its inconsistent too. Sometimes it seems to idle fine. Drives me crazy! Its more pronounced when cold but still exsits durring full operating temperature. If it was really that bad I'd bring it to my dealer in a heartbeat. All I'd hear now is "Can not replicate" You know the routine! I do know however, that it didn't idle like this when new.
Maybe Hellbound is right I might try and change out the spark plugs but it only has 7000km on it.
Also I had cold engine surge but I threw some FIC and water remover into the tank and that seems to have corrected the problem. i could take a video though. My engine surge looked like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NrVtjOGjqI

Last edited by cmpmacchia; 11-02-2008 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-02-2008, 01:51 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting...I thought my rig felt a bit gutless, and it's had the occasional rough start. Gonna try injector cleaner, maybe TB cleaner too.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Rough Idle (recent)