Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Rough Idle (recent)

Old 11-02-2008, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by csims723
I spoke to my Fire Department mechanic about the soot build up on the throttle body. He said that the 10% ethanol added to the fuel is the cause of the soot. He recommended the 3M™ Do-It-Yourself Fuel System Tune-Up Kit, 08963. It is a kit that included everything that is plastic safe. He said to do this at least at every other oil change or every 6 months. This came from a ASE certified mechanic. Now if we take this as good sound advise its entirely up to you. I bought the 3M kit and used it and my Jeep is like night and day. It has all the original pep it used to have and it purrs like a kitten. I had 18,000 miles on mine. Chris
How are you to use this kit that it cleans the throttle plate? I have seen kits you hook up to your fuel line that are supposed to clean you injectors and throttle body at the same time. I don't know how they are to clean something so far upstream from an injector.

Like I said before I have just been cleaning mine with a Spray can of Throttle Body Cleaner. The last one I had was STP. I used the last of it last time so I can't quote the can but I remember the directions. It stated NOT to spray it in the intake so as not to damage your O2 sensors. It said to spray on a Rag and wipe it down. Its very easy to do and only takes me a few minutes. Use a lint free rag if you are really worried about it. I have just over 40k miles on mine and I have done it about every 10K. I am due to clean it again but I need to pick up some more cleaner. I have carburetor cleaner but wouldn't use it in the throttle body. I use it on the CJ since it doesn't have O2 Sensors.

This way is so cheap and easy I wouldn't try anything else unless this doesn't fix your problem. From my experience unless you need a tune-up 9 times out of 10 it fixes the rough Idle and stalling at red lights.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by derff96963
How are you to use this kit that it cleans the throttle plate? I have seen kits you hook up to your fuel line that are supposed to clean you injectors and throttle body at the same time. I don't know how they are to clean something so far upstream from an injector.

Like I said before I have just been cleaning mine with a Spray can of Throttle Body Cleaner. The last one I had was STP. I used the last of it last time so I can't quote the can but I remember the directions. It stated NOT to spray it in the intake so as not to damage your O2 sensors. It said to spray on a Rag and wipe it down. Its very easy to do and only takes me a few minutes. Use a lint free rag if you are really worried about it. I have just over 40k miles on mine and I have done it about every 10K. I am due to clean it again but I need to pick up some more cleaner. I have carburetor cleaner but wouldn't use it in the throttle body. I use it on the CJ since it doesn't have O2 Sensors.

This way is so cheap and easy I wouldn't try anything else unless this doesn't fix your problem. From my experience unless you need a tune-up 9 times out of 10 it fixes the rough Idle and stalling at red lights.
This is how it works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX5J5kZLTw4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX5J5kZLTw4

Last edited by cmpmacchia; 11-02-2008 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Rough Idle (recent)