Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Collapsed radiator hose

Old 11-17-2008, 04:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not an uncommon problem on a whole lot of vehicles. Sometimes it is the fault of the thermostat not bleeding by when it is cooling down. A hose with a spiral wound spring inside usually takes care of the problem since this type of hose is very hard to collapse and it will force the stat to do what it should.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was going to post what I had found but skibum hit it on the head. Mine is collapsing as it cools also. Is this something to contact the dealer about? It doesn't sound like its causing any issues but I can't believe its good for the hose to be worked like several times a day.

I might just call and see what they say.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bump any further discoveries about this? I haven't had or taken the time to call the dealer much less stop in. I will mention it at the next oil change unless its something that could cause damage that should be addressed now?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:06 AM
JK Freak

I don't think it's going to cause any damage. Just ask them about it when you take it for an oil change. I'm sure they are gonna tell it's no big deal and to just live with it. Let us know what they say though.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Newbie

Default collapsed Radiator Hose

I had same problem with upper hose collapsing when engined turned off and cooling started. Replaced radiator cap with a Stant LevR cap with same PSI rating (18 PSI) and there was no longer a hose collapse.
Old 11-24-2010, 07:32 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by TekWarren
Bump any further discoveries about this? I haven't had or taken the time to call the dealer much less stop in. I will mention it at the next oil change unless its something that could cause damage that should be addressed now?
Did you check the hose from the cap to the overflow bottle for obstructions?

Sometimes there is sand residue in the bottom of the bottle.
Old 12-29-2010, 03:46 PM
JK Newbie

Mine does the same thing on a 2009 Rubi. Will take it to the dealer in a week or so just to be safe. Will post what they tell me then.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by malafleur
I had same problem with upper hose collapsing when engined turned off and cooling started. Replaced radiator cap with a Stant LevR cap with same PSI rating (18 PSI) and there was no longer a hose collapse.
took your advice and changed to a stant cap on my 08 jk. no further problems, water level remains constant and no leaks. well done
Old 03-18-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same upper hose collapse on our 2010. Took it and some photos of the reservoir level and collapsed hose to the stealership and told the service writer molding crud left over in the reservoir and plugging the inlet was one possibility. Plugged overflow line was another. Oh and the radiator cap might be bad as a third. He dutifully wrote them all down. Few hours later they called and said it was ready. Drove it home, popped the hood and waited. Sure enough the hose collapsed as the engine cooled. Armed with new photos drove it back to the stealership. 30 minutes and a new radiator cap later it was fixed. At least it was warranty work and the service manager apologized .
Old 03-24-2011, 11:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

read this thread and noticed my top hose is collapsed also. I opened the cap but the hose stays flat. I even squeezed it back into shape (with cap off) I can hear it sucking but it goes right back to flat when I let go.

Reservoir looks 2/3 full, too. I'll check it when it is hot.

I'm just passed 36k miles, too! figures....

I have an aeroforce gauge and watch the coolant temp (and tranny temp) as the default displays so I know for a fact it never goes over 210F.

You folks think it is a faulty cap???

Quick Reply: Collapsed radiator hose