Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Collapsed radiator hose

Old 11-16-2008, 05:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collapsed radiator hose

Maybe this is normal but I just happened to notice it this weekend doing some maintenance. My upper radiator hose was collapsed...I mean flat as it could be no longer round at the middle section. I could squeeze the hose somewhat back into shape and hear coolant being sucked into the pipe. Is this normal? While I'm thinking about odd things...I hear a "sigh" when I turn the engine off. I notice it more when I get home from work because I have the radio off and I'm in the garage with no other noises.

Thoughts?
Old 11-16-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW, never heard of that before. I've seen a few lower hoses collapsed, but never an upper.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

I saw an upper hose collapsed last weekend while riding. The fan on the JK had also stopped working and it was overheating. Once we got the fan working again the hose seemed to stay open. Other than that I have no ideas for you.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hrm, I guess I'll keep an eye on it. I'm sure its not overheating, the dash gauge has been normal and its cold enough here in MI now that it is even more unlikely. I guess if the fan wasn't working it could get hot but I've had no other indicators. I should be able to test the fan tomorrow when I get home from work, 45 minute drive and I'll pull in to the garage and leave it running and see if the fan will kick on.

I just had it in for an oil change and all fluids where checked, but I doubt the fan is part of their standard check.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TekWarren
Hrm, I guess I'll keep an eye on it. I'm sure its not overheating, the dash gauge has been normal and its cold enough here in MI now that it is even more unlikely. I guess if the fan wasn't working it could get hot but I've had no other indicators. I should be able to test the fan tomorrow when I get home from work, 45 minute drive and I'll pull in to the garage and leave it running and see if the fan will kick on.

I just had it in for an oil change and all fluids where checked, but I doubt the fan is part of their standard check.
Time to visit the dealer for some warranty work.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all your thoughts...I will check it this morning before I go out anywhere now that I'm at work and again when I get home tonight. Maybe I'll take a picture just to emphasize how flat it was...kinda scary. If it worries me enough I'll call the dealer and see what they say but I want to check it a couple more times to make sure it wasn't a fluke thing.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 AM
JK Freak

Doesn't sound to healthy. Let us know what you find out.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A pinched overflow bottle hose or a bad cap would be my quick guess....
Old 11-17-2008, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TekWarren
Maybe this is normal but I just happened to notice it this weekend doing some maintenance. My upper radiator hose was collapsed...I mean flat as it could be no longer round at the middle section. I could squeeze the hose somewhat back into shape and hear coolant being sucked into the pipe. Is this normal? While I'm thinking about odd things...I hear a "sigh" when I turn the engine off. I notice it more when I get home from work because I have the radio off and I'm in the garage with no other noises.

Thoughts?
Weird.............I posted this on my local 4X4 forum just a few days ago......

I took the Jeep over to friend's last night to enlist his help in wiring up a new set of lights and the CB (but mostly to use his heated shop ). His place is about 15 miles away so the Jeep got fully up to temp before arriving. Once there, we opened the hood and started to work. Half an hour into the project, he says to me, "look at your upper radiator hose". In short, the upper hose had collapsed as though you blocked one end and put a shop vac on the other. Now both of us are lifelong gearheads but we had never seen anything like this. Released the radiator cap and the hose resumed its normal shape. Then twenty minutes later, as the Jeep continues to cool, it does it again. This was repeated several times during the three and half hours we worked on the Jeep. Anybody have any ideas why? OBTW.........coolant level appears to be correct and the idiot guage never moves from its normal position when driving.

Since then I've replaced the radiator hose and coolant overflow line but it still does it. I'm stumped.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ogie
The system is not releasing pressure when cooling and creating a vacuum. You need a radiator cap...or I guess a complete expansion bottle with cap...our JK's don't have traditional radiator caps, do they? I can't remember without looking. Anyhow, whichever, that's what you need.
Just replaced my cap.............that ain't it.

Quick Reply: Collapsed radiator hose