Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Stock Tires!!

Old 11-21-2008, 04:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Tires!!

I bought a new JK X w/ steel wheels. I went rode on some just old logging trails and a stick about 1'' long put a hole in my tire!! WTH, why do they put street tires on a Jeep?? I know I dont have a Rubi like my TJ, but still!! That made me want to mod asap!!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all has to do with the final sticker price, cheaper tires means a lower price on the sticker.
Old 11-22-2008, 01:09 AM
JK Freak

Yea I know and they are going to be changed out! That was the first thing that came to mind. So the lift and tires will be on asap!
Old 11-22-2008, 03:42 AM
JK Jedi

I don't have a problem with the cheapo tires, as stated many have different needs and preferences for an off-road tire, therefore it would be impossible for Jeep to try and satisfy everyone, so cheap tires that are able to be swapped out without too much hesitation is fine. Lets face it, most Wranglers never leave the pavement anyways.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, the stock tires kinda suck for a Jeep. That said, the Jeep kinda makes up for it. I mean, if you don't poke somethin through one, the stock tires will surprise you.....well I'm sure it's the Jeep that is doin the surprisin, but I've been some places I would never suspect stock tires would go. ...and I've been stuck in a mud hole with them, too.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

My stock tires: P255/75R17 = Minivan tires.

At least Jeep could have provided LT rated tires. I plan on replacing them after this winter
Old 11-22-2008, 06:44 AM
JK Newbie

I would of liked defferent tires I have been surprised. I was in some good muck last wekend and they were okay. I still plan on changing them , but I will wait till I need to instead of wanting to.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran the stock donuts for 2000 miles, and changed over to my current tires. A hill here on my property, I tried multiple times to get up it with the stockers, never could. With my new tires, it walks up like nothing.

Plus the hole ground clearance thing. 29" tall tires don't allow for much ground clearance.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Yeah if you go to tirerack.com and check out the tires that come stock, Goodyear Wrangler ST 225/75/16 on my 08 X, you will see they are about the cheapest tire there is. There were a lot of comments on there about the tires going flat within a short period of time. I plan on keeping the steelies on there for a while and plan to run a 235/85/16 on them and looking at the Firestone Destination MT. Of all the tires they carry these ranked #1 even over the MTR's. I always use to run Swampers on the YJ but they just wore out to fast.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:28 AM
JK Super Freak

I've run the 225-75-16's with the steelies since I got my 07, 27000 miles ago.

I'm off road a lot with them . Nothing too radical, just a lot of time in the NJ Pine Barrens. Mud, sand, rough trails and such.

I am amazed how well I've gotten by with these. I'll run them until they need replacing then I'll put on more Jeep-worthy tires.

But for what I do now and what I forsee doing in the future, I believe I'll keep the stock steelies and go with General AT2's in 255-75-16 with no lift.

Unless I come into some extra money.......

Quick Reply: Stock Tires!!