Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Rear Camera Mount Project Finished!

Old 11-28-2007, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I now have another item added to the Christmas list
How is the picture on the wireless cam?
Also do you turn it off and on or is there a way to tie it into ur reverse lights?
TIA
Andrew
Old 11-28-2007, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SFD1248Unlimited
Also do you turn it off and on or is there a way to tie it into ur reverse lights?
TIA
Andrew

good questions.. can't wait till they are answered.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SFD1248Unlimited
TIA
Andrew
I cannot answer the question about the picture quality, but wiring it to turn on with the reverse lights would be very easy to do, just use a 12 volt relay. Tap it into one of the wires to the lights, use your trailer plug, or just tap off the fuse box. I have the same camera that DB8 has and the picture quality is just okay... not the best. But hey... it works! I have yet to permanently install mine, but I plan on going the same route as DB8...
Old 11-28-2007, 07:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matthew2000tx
good questions.. can't wait till they are answered.
wireless camera not bad not great kinda web camish but u get the point most of the time the lens is dirty so as part of a routine i wipe the lens in the morning, but road spray makes a mess quick

it does the job for backing up and aligning up to trailer.
I have it wired into my park lights so when they are on the camera is powered.
The monitored is powered by a switch that activates back axillary back up lights when they are wired up this way i can activate the camera not only in reverse but at the stop light, to watch the woman behind put her make up on or the guy pick his nose provide the aux b/u lights aren't connected.
ahhh Good times
Old 11-28-2007, 09:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

On the PepBoys version, it comes wired to go on with the back up lights, but you can install a manual overide to turn it on when ever you want to peak, etc.

As for weathering/road grime, etc...I'd rain-x the lens.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eracer76
I mounted mine in the Mopar bumper just above the hitch receiver.
It works out good there and it also makes it easy to hook up the boat

That's where my backup cam is going as it had the best view from that location and is somewhat hidden from people just walking by, etc. Did you pull the bumper to cut into it or drill/mount while it was on?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sQuid
That's where my backup cam is going as it had the best view from that location and is somewhat hidden from people just walking by, etc. Did you pull the bumper to cut into it or drill/mount while it was on?
Just make sure you have the clearence behind the bumper for your camera.
I had just enough room to fit mine.
I didnt have to remove the bumper, I just used a big step drill bit to drill the hole, a bi-metal hole saw would work ok too.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eracer76
Just make sure you have the clearence behind the bumper for your camera.
I had just enough room to fit mine.
I didnt have to remove the bumper, I just used a big step drill bit to drill the hole, a bi-metal hole saw would work ok too.
Yeah I can't tell how much room is really back there so I was thinking of pulling it to be sure. My backup cam is a bit larger than norm with all the nightvision LEDs, etc. I know it's 1.25" in width... not sure how long at the moment. But it could even stick out a bit and be ok since it's under the spare.

Where did you run your wiring? I was thinking underneath and through the drain plug area in the "trunk"

Otherwise I've got another rear view cam that could mount flush up against the bumper and use my round one underneath somewhere.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for yet another great post. I love this forum!

I was going to go with the bumper mount too, but before I started drilling holes I zip tied the camera to the receiver and tested out the view. I could see things behind me, but the depth perception was terrible. For the most part, I couldn't tell if something was 6" away or 6'. That just wasn't going to work for parallel parking.

Here's my solution:

I how have a great view of not only what's behind me, but also a pretty good idea how close it is.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sQuid
Yeah I can't tell how much room is really back there so I was thinking of pulling it to be sure. My backup cam is a bit larger than norm with all the nightvision LEDs, etc. I know it's 1.25" in width... not sure how long at the moment. But it could even stick out a bit and be ok since it's under the spare.

Where did you run your wiring? I was thinking underneath and through the drain plug area in the "trunk"

Otherwise I've got another rear view cam that could mount flush up against the bumper and use my round one underneath somewhere.
This is exactly the information I'm looking for ... where/how did you run the wires from the camera to the screen (MyGig in my case) and power?

Quick Reply: Rear Camera Mount Project Finished!