Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Overheating Problem

Old 09-08-2008, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating Problem

This weekend, I got a radiator (s) full of mud causing me to run in the red. Last night I took out the cowl and radiator fan, cleaned it up as good as I could, but now today, my fan is not running at all!! Any ideas?
Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joshua314
This weekend, I got a radiator (s) full of mud causing me to run in the red. Last night I took out the cowl and radiator fan, cleaned it up as good as I could, but now today, my fan is not running at all!! Any ideas?
Did you clean the fan with hose? The fan motor doesnt like water squirted on it directly(guess how I know). I killed mine washing it also. Did you clean the radiator out good too? Run that hose thru every inch of it till only clean water is coming off of it.

best thing to do is get a test light and see if you have power at the fan motor wireharness with the ac on(fan should run with ac on) if you have power there you need new fan motor.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:13 PM
JK Newbie

Default reply

Originally Posted by Mr. T
damn tim, you beat me to it!

do what he said. we have both fried our fans with some mud and water. those things can be pretty fragile unfortunately. dealer had to replace my fan, fan shroud and fan motor assembly. at least it was warrantied for me...

good luck!
I guess I need to wash it another 5 or 6 times before I get to the dealer
Old 09-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Ben
JK Freak

yep those fans are fragile around water. Luckily mine is being replaced under warranty with the new 09 unit that supposedly is built better, with a sealedbearing, but we will see. I personally consider this to be an achille's heel of the jk, they could have spent about 8$ more on the assembly line and not had to do all the warranty stuff.

ben
Old 09-09-2008, 09:06 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through too much mud and shorted the fan. Maybe you did too.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Ben
JK Freak

My fan was fine until I started using the hose to clean out the radiator and the fan... Should have left well enough alone I guess, but I like a clean motor. I have heard of others losing their fan in the water though.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default cleaning radiator

it's supposed to b TRAIL RATED!!!!!! They need to replace ur fan motor if water messed it up. I WOULDN'T CLEAN IT UP AT ALL. but tehn i'm kinda stubborn that way.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Ben
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hawgrider1200
it's supposed to b TRAIL RATED!!!!!! They need to replace ur fan motor if water messed it up. I WOULDN'T CLEAN IT UP AT ALL. but tehn i'm kinda stubborn that way.
They are warrantying it, (took two weeks but it will be done tomorrow)

it has SUCKED having to drive in east texas the past two weeks with the heater blowing full blast to try to keep from overheating, it wasn't so bad while i had top and doors off, but when it starts raingin and I have to do that withthe top and doors on, OMG. O and the dealer tried to make me admit that I had gone through deep water. My fan was fine until I sprayed the radiator front and back with a water hose!!! The achilles Heal of the JK. But supposedly it has been fixed on 09's, and that is the motor they are replacing it with.

So if you get your fan replaced under warranty, make sure they put the new one in.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Is the fan supposed to come on any time the ac is on? I am on my 3rd fan from mud and water. It seems the newest unit doesn't, but does still come on. Seemed strange to me.

Does the newer 09 fan motor fit the 07s, or do you need to replace the entire fan and shroud?
Old 02-08-2009, 07:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JKCobra
Is the fan supposed to come on any time the ac is on? I am on my 3rd fan from mud and water. It seems the newest unit doesn't, but does still come on. Seemed strange to me.

Does the newer 09 fan motor fit the 07s, or do you need to replace the entire fan and shroud?
the 09 motor will fit the 07/08 shroud....the 09 motor is a different part # but it looks exactly the same and has the same holes to let water/mud in.

I'm on my 3rd also, and it should come on when you turn the ac on with the jeep running.

Quick Reply: Overheating Problem