Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Connecting Tow Straps Safely

Old 12-22-2008, 04:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiley88
In reality, how often do shakles break? I am aware of the fact they do fail at times and they will become a hazard as they fly toward you....

BUT....how frequent of an occurance is this if you have 10,000lb rated shackles. Do you think a high percent of the failures are due to using incorrect equipment and shackles designed for use with an ATV?

I have been lucky enough to never have one fail - but I have seen chain and other items fail and the mess they can cause....
Probably not very common, but personally I don't want to be that 1 in 100 person when it does break. Unfortunately people have died due to injuries incurred when equipment breaks in rescue situations.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:43 PM
JK Super Freak

There isn't any problem using a shackel to join two straps together but common sense is required just like winching you should put some dead weight on each strap to absorb the energy incase the strap or shackle fails. I.E. Heavy jacket or blanket this will take the violent whip out in the case that failure does occur I use moving blankets big and bulky
But this just my way
Old 12-22-2008, 05:00 PM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiley88
In reality, how often do shakles break? I am aware of the fact they do fail at times and they will become a hazard as they fly toward you....

BUT....how frequent of an occurance is this if you have 10,000lb rated shackles. Do you think a high percent of the failures are due to using incorrect equipment and shackles designed for use with an ATV?

I have been lucky enough to never have one fail - but I have seen chain and other items fail and the mess they can cause....

a bunch of them probably are low rated atv type. i have had tow straps come undone and snap back, with a fully intact shackle. just one of them let go, so i wasnt necesarrily refering to just the shackle breaking.

way back in the stone age I used a chain to get a friend unstuck, it snappe and came back like a buzz saw through the scrub brush, it was scary, looked like someone mowed it off. havent used a chain since, but did make the mistake of using shackles. I agree a blanket or something like a jacket will absorb it and slow it down, i just dont think it is worth the chance after seeing what one will do. but that is just me, others do it without incident.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Its not the shackle that breaks. Its the strap, or tow point, the strap is attached to. I would never join two straps together with a shackle.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

The best knot to use is called a "Bowline". Do a search for knot tying and you can get a detailed description on how to tie it. It is tough to remember how to tie it but it won't bind or slip. I use it to secure trees to vehicles when cutting them down and to tow. The knot will come apart very easily no matter how hard you pull on it.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:23 AM
JK Super Freak

I got a real nice PDF from one of the guys I wheeled with this weekend that explains how they did it. however it is too big to attach.

So how do I share it with everyone.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:25 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by goldtr8
I got a real nice PDF from one of the guys I wheeled with this weekend that explains how they did it. however it is too big to attach.

So how do I share it with everyone.
email, convert it to a jpeg... etc.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pwermker
The best knot to use is called a "Bowline". It is tough to remember how to tie it but it won't bind or slip.
Simple to remember: The rabbit comes out of the hole, around the tree and back down the hole. Learned that when I was about five. And it's a great basic knot to know.

See:

http://www.animatedknots.com/bowlineboating/index.php

My guess for the dowel knot would be a Lanyard Hitch, which I've used in a similar fashion:

http://www.animatedknots.com/girthre...matedknots.com

Jeff
Old 12-23-2008, 02:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default No matter how hard you try...

...you are not gonna knot a strap. If you cannot reach it with one strap, and you don't have a dowel/branch to use the dowel method, use of multiple straps is possible by simply running an additional strap through your end loop and attach both it's end loops to the Jeep to be towed, essentially creating a cradle. No knots, no dowels, no shackles. More than one can be added in this fashion just by running the next one through the end loops until you have enough length.

Kinda like this:

Last edited by Until2004; 12-23-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Until2004
...you are not gonna knot a strap. If you cannot reach it with one strap, and you don't have a dowel/branch to use the dowel method, use of multiple straps is possible by simply running an additional strap through your end loop and attach both it's end loops to the Jeep to be towed, essentially creating a cradle. No knots, no dowels, no shackles. More than one can be added in this fashion just by running the next one through the end loops until you have enough length.

Kinda like this:

Now that makes a lot of sense. I could see a jeep with the front hooks connected to the red, it would be strong and safe.

Quick Reply: Connecting Tow Straps Safely