Notices
JK Off-Road 101 Bulletin board forum regarding topics such as general off-roading tips, tricks, techniques and equipment usage such as winching and vehicle recovery information.

Connecting Tow Straps Safely

Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This doesn't really help this those who want to use some sort of pin to attach two ropes, but I use a triple fishermen knot:

The straps/rope will fail before this knot will. Just leave a little longer ends then showed in this picture, and it's fairly easy to untie and quick to tie.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Until2004
Maybe I am reading it wrong, or you meant to say something else, but the slip method I posted involves no knots, or ties, just existing end loops and use of the cradle method. It all slips apart no matter how hard it is pulled on. I have yet to find a strap that did not have factory end loops.
Straps with loops on each end are called eye and eye straps. Most recovery straps are eye and eye. The other kind are called continuous loop. They are just a big circle. The make good tree savers.

You are right. You should never tie two staps together. One it weakens the straps, two, it can be impossible to get them apart.

I've never seen the wooden dowel method but I am hesitant to believe that would be as strong or safe as your method.

The forces that are involved are too great to fool around with.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i digress

its funny i keep hearing don't do this don't do that its unsafe.
well how many of these people that preach "i wouldn't do that" and provide stories, have they ever lifted the hood when getting recovered to protect the recovered or recovery vehicle from getting a strap or hook or chain or shackle or piece of jeep from coming through the windsheild?

i mean common sense comes into play. there is a little stuck and a lot stuck, does this also include there is safe and some safe. does a 10 minute recovery really need 40 minutes of safety prep and analysis.

I'm a certified tow truck and recovery technician with Canada's version of AAA , for work i go the distance who wants to die at work, for play i know what i can get away with depending on the situation. but yes generally i like to leave metal out of the equation, not an option at work though.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cabela's carries a product just like this. It's metal and I was a little sketchy about buying it because of the projectile reason. I have always put the two straps together just like this, but without the "dog bone" or piece of wood in it. It is the strongest and safest way to connecting them, but can be a bitch to get undone.

ww.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp;jsessionid=FATDVJI4AEFEFLAQBBICCONMCAEFCI WE?id=0038447522016a&navCount=3&podId=0038447&pare ntId=cat20145&masterpathid=&navAction=jump&cmCat=S EARCH_all-cat20145&catalogCode=XJ&rid=&parentType=index&inde xId=cat20145&hasJS=true&_requestid=118603
Old 01-06-2009, 01:34 AM
JK Freak

I would not be worried about breaking a strap as long it is in good condition with no frays tears and free of any defects

for all of are jeeps a good quality 3" strap is all that you would ever need and never break it whether using a " dogbone " or clevis would be fine

The main reason I see straps fail is due to a few different things 1. snatching on someone with a damage strap 2. snatching on someone with a strap to small for the job and 3. and just snatching

sometime you will be required to jerk a little harder but that does not mean backing up to someones bumper and flooring it with a 30' strap bad things happen that way not just limited to a strap

always try and PULL someone out if someone does not want to come out with just pulling letting the strap slack up alittle just to get a bump is not to bad

and if it get to bad find someone with a winch
Old 01-06-2009, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WRAITHYJEEP
its funny i keep hearing don't do this don't do that its unsafe.
well how many of these people that preach "i wouldn't do that" and provide stories, have they ever lifted the hood when getting recovered to protect the recovered or recovery vehicle from getting a strap or hook or chain or shackle or piece of jeep from coming through the windsheild?

i mean common sense comes into play. there is a little stuck and a lot stuck, does this also include there is safe and some safe. does a 10 minute recovery really need 40 minutes of safety prep and analysis.

I'm a certified tow truck and recovery technician with Canada's version of AAA , for work i go the distance who wants to die at work, for play i know what i can get away with depending on the situation. but yes generally i like to leave metal out of the equation, not an option at work though.
You hit the nail on the head when you said you are Certified. I am guessing that the number of wheelers that are certified recovery technicians is miniscule at best. Since I am not certified, I am more that ready to take 40 minutes out of my life to ensure it lasts longer than 10 more minutes because someone did something stupid, including me.

The hood idea, never would have thought of that, thanks alot for that input. Keep the great information coming on the forums.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Until2004
You hit the nail on the head when you said you are Certified. I am guessing that the number of wheelers that are certified recovery technicians is miniscule at best. Since I am not certified, I am more that ready to take 40 minutes out of my life to ensure it lasts longer than 10 more minutes because someone did something stupid, including me.

The hood idea, never would have thought of that, thanks alot for that input. Keep the great information coming on the forums.
That is a very good way to put it!!
Old 01-07-2009, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by berg
You are right. You should never tie two staps together. One it weakens the straps, two, it can be impossible to get them apart.
This was the reply I was looking for. You NEVER tie two straps together. I've been a Project Manager in heavy industrial installations for years. All my Foremen would never tie two straps together. Shakles are always the prefered method of connecting two straps.

As far as breakage of the shackle, you would probably rip what ever welds are on the Jeep connection before breaking the shakle. I'm using 3/4" pins shackles which are rated to 4.75 tons = 9,500 lbs. The JK weights about 1/2 that, so you have a 2x safety factor.

I do like the hood idea if something broke though. I'll keep that in my grey matter for later use.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by el_campede
This was the reply I was looking for. You NEVER tie two straps together. I've been a Project Manager in heavy industrial installations for years. All my Foremen would never tie two straps together. Shakles are always the prefered method of connecting two straps.

As far as breakage of the shackle, you would probably rip what ever welds are on the Jeep connection before breaking the shakle. I'm using 3/4" pins shackles which are rated to 4.75 tons = 9,500 lbs. The JK weights about 1/2 that, so you have a 2x safety factor.

I do like the hood idea if something broke though. I'll keep that in my grey matter for later use.
While you are unlikely to break at 3/4" shackle when recovering a vehicle with a static straight pull however the dynamic loads created with recovering (snatching) a vehicle can quickly exceed the 9500 lbs. capacity of a 3/4" clevis shackle.

Quick Reply: Connecting Tow Straps Safely