Notices
JK CB & HAM Radios Bulletin board forum regarding all topics concerning CB and HAM radios, the installation of them in your Jeep JK Wrangler. This would include antenna mounts, wiring, tuning and usage.

HAM OP Roll Call......

Old 01-01-2009, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the thread.
Any suggestions on the first Ham? Mobile preferably?
Old 01-01-2009, 05:34 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by tambil68
Thanks for the thread.
Any suggestions on the first Ham? Mobile preferably?
First HAM what??? Seeing that you said "mobile", I guess you mean suggestions on your first HAM radio?

If so........look at the "Heads Up to CBers" thread in the Elec. Lighting, and Sound forum. Lots of talk about radios there.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Newbie

Hey Dave, W8BUX, extra here. We had a sked on 20m some months ago, and you got me on the first call, Alaska to Michigan. Maybe when propagation comes around we can try jeep to jeep!

pete W8BUX
Old 01-02-2009, 12:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

n4rwe
been upgrading to general for nearly 15 years...
Old 01-02-2009, 02:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Although I haven't got licensed yet (looking to do so soon), my father has been doing the Ham thing for longer than I can remember.

The big 50' antenna along side the house was always a constant landmark growing up!

His call is WB7ESV... I'll never forget it.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:21 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by angbri
Angie / KDØFTQ
Tech. Class
Hi Angie......GREAT to have another "YL" (woman, XYL= wife) in the hobbie. A YL usually gets a lot of attention when they get on the air. Hope you are having fun...!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:28 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by petrus
Hey Dave, W8BUX, extra here. We had a sked on 20m some months ago, and you got me on the first call, Alaska to Michigan. Maybe when propagation comes around we can try jeep to jeep!

pete W8BUX
Hi Pete.....yes I remember our sked, it's always great to make a sked work first call. Hope we can do it again sometime. Of course it would be great to have a "JK sked too" but I have to get another rig for the jeep other than VHF. I sold my old Ranger AR3500 (10m mobile rig) a couple years ago to buy other gear. I told myself years ago that I would never sell that thing......well I did, and now I'm regretting it. Oh well, there's always more radios where that came from I guess. Thinking about a 706.......we'll see.
Email me when/if you want to sked again....
Old 01-07-2009, 11:45 AM
JK Newbie

Russ/KA7MPX for the last 27 years. Hold a general class ticket and have know the guy that started this thread for years.......73's
Old 01-08-2009, 12:07 AM
JK Newbie

Wink

KD4ZKW, licensed since 93, just got the 2 meter FT 2400 installed with a metz coming off the 3rd tail light.

ALso have a VX5r that I use for 440, and scanning marine freqs, since I work making deliveries around all of the bridges in the area.

General class, also a GROL, and have avionics experience. Should upgrade to extra, but haven't had any reason, since mostly I just work 10 meter HF when I have a working rig.

I have an IC V80000 and an alinco dr 430 in the house. Used to work a lot of packet back in the days. Looking at the new stuff coming out with aprs track to target features. I like that stuff, great idea for locating the lost sheep, so to speak.

Cb isn't really a bad band. In reality, you only need one guy with the right equipment to keep a whole convoy of jeeps in touch. Sort of a commo guy. So while someone is pulling my stock X out of the mud, hopefully someone will be pulling my signal out of the mud too. BTW, my vote for best rig would havee to go to the VX8R, dual band, with aprs capability, can be submerged and still work, long battery life, can be taken portable, and has a lot of wide band scanning capability for less than 400 bux. Add an HT amp, and a dual band antenna, and talk for miles with it full quieting.

Last edited by Stretchman; 01-08-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geko45
Handle here is Bob, call KB5ASW. Been a Tech for about 23 years! Think I should upgrade? LOL!

You can be grandfathered in as General class.

KB5AJA General Class here.

Quick Reply: HAM OP Roll Call......