Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

4wd!

Old 01-02-2009, 06:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd!

Hey guys... this one is gunna be a bit of a doosy so get mentally prepared...

Ok a little backstory, imagine it's 1 year ago: I have 2 jeeps, a tj and a wrangler, both 4wd and both awesome. I am going to buy a new one, and want to get a 4-door unlimited. I decide that the unlimited will be my DD and for that reason I get a 2WD model...

Fast-forward to today and I am regretting the crap out of it. I want to take the 4 door wheelin and I am just nervous about getting stuck...

So, here are my options as I see them:

1.) Install a winch on my aftermarket bumper and be prepared to use it... a lot.
2.) Upgrade to 4WD, I will lose the warranty on the vehicle if I do though(I think)
3.) Trade in the jeep (This is really not an option for me, I love my baby - plus it will be a big wallet hit)
4.) Forget the whole thing, just keep using the unlimited for transporting kayaks and driving around town.

Any input you guys have will be appreciated... I am really up in the air with what to do.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lowspeedchase
Hey guys... this one is gunna be a bit of a doosy so get mentally prepared...

Ok a little backstory, imagine it's 1 year ago: I have 2 jeeps, a tj and a wrangler, both 4wd and both awesome. I am going to buy a new one, and want to get a 4-door unlimited. I decide that the unlimited will be my DD and for that reason I get a 2WD model...

Fast-forward to today and I am regretting the crap out of it. I want to take the 4 door wheelin and I am just nervous about getting stuck...

So, here are my options as I see them:

1.) Install a winch on my aftermarket bumper and be prepared to use it... a lot.
2.) Upgrade to 4WD, I will lose the warranty on the vehicle if I do though(I think)
3.) Trade in the jeep (This is really not an option for me, I love my baby - plus it will be a big wallet hit)
4.) Forget the whole thing, just keep using the unlimited for transporting kayaks and driving around town.

Any input you guys have will be appreciated... I am really up in the air with what to do.
I think you should choose option "4" considering your situation.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I may be wrong, but I think if you use the dealership and all MOPAR parts they may warranty you the same as if you got the 4wd Stock. You should definitely look into that as an option, it will probably cost a ton though.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Parrothead
I may be wrong, but I think if you use the dealership and all MOPAR parts they may warranty you the same as if you got the 4wd Stock. You should definitely look into that as an option, it will probably cost a ton though.
Yah, I'd imagine the dealership would put on the war paint and begin raping and pillaging right when I brought it up lol
Old 01-02-2009, 07:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, if your just fishing for opinions I say option 4 as well....
but I don't know your whole story.
If you've even CONSIDERED upgrading it to 4wd then you musn't be THAT hard up financially, and my suggestion...if you've considered that possibility then why not just keep it 2wd as a DD and get yourself a cheap older rig strictly for offroad
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raiderse
I think you should choose option "4" considering your situation.
I agree with option 4 as well.
JK Enthusiast

Default Nice Project

Option 2 sounds good!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by BlackNorthernJK
Well, if your just fishing for opinions I say option 4 as well....
but I don't know your whole story.
If you've even CONSIDERED upgrading it to 4wd then you musn't be THAT hard up financially, and my suggestion...if you've considered that possibility then why not just keep it 2wd as a DD and get yourself a cheap older rig strictly for offroad
Yah, the 04 wrangler is all built up for offroad... the tj is basically stock.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go with option 3 and get one just like the one you have now with the same options.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Opt 4 makes the most sense.

Beyond making sense, you could add a winch and locker in the rear. That would keep things interestng.

Quick Reply: 4wd!