Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Wind noise with soft top

Old 01-12-2009, 10:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No problems with mine. Makes some noise of course but nothing too bad. It's noisier when it's colder and windier.

Mine doesn't leak at all.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check this thread below. The discussion is centered specifically on the whistling problem, but if you can get your hands on this 'fix' it would appear it might help your wind noise problem also.

Pester your service department about it ... maybe Chrysler will make it more widely available.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

No leaks with mine... and it doesn't seem too noisy. I had the hardtop before and it was just bit louder after the softtop went on.

I did notice that whenever snow or ice debris built up along the leading edge that the thing would howl, but it wasn't permanent of course... and if it was really windy outside, it was rather loud inside as well.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

"Wind noise with soft top" is kinda like sayin "water flows downhill". It's just gonna happen.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
"Wind noise with soft top" is kinda like sayin "water flows downhill". It's just gonna happen.
That's like comparing a steak knife to a surgeon's. If he has the whistle I had, it is very different than normal noise from a soft top. Very different than all other Jeeps I have owned and my wife's convertible also. It's easy to make light of a problem. If he has what I had, it is a problem not a Jeep thing. There wouldn't be TSBs for it, there wouldn't be pages and pages of people talking about it either. If you go to other Jeep specific forums for older models you won't see discussions of leaks and wind noise on the first page. I wonder why?
Old 01-12-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Dude, there are pages and pages of people who don't put their back windows on correctly. There are pages and pages of people asking what lift is required for xxx. There is even a huge thread about the lack of low windshield washer alert, although truth be told most people on there are making fun of that guy out of meanness.
All convertibles are more likely to leak. Look at any forum about convertibles, and I'm sure there are people on there complaining about leaking tops. This is why most people say the two best days of people who own convertibles are the day you bought it and they day you sold it. It usually requires just some messing with to get it right. Some don't though.
Mine fits, and although it is used, if any of the leaky top people want to buy it off of me so I can buy a Trektop, let me know!
Old 01-12-2009, 02:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

mine was EXTREMELY loud after the stealership supposedly "replaced" my top(dont even get me started on that). but i went back and they tightened the sail cloth and the noise is back to what i consider acceptable.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

having this be my 5th wrangler.. this one is the quietest wrangler ive ever had... water leaks are very rare... if I get any water it is because I put the top up wrong.. simply putting it down and putting it back up correctly rectifies that... i have a little bit of whistle in the front when I drive into a headwind on the freeway.. but nothing nearly as noisy as even my 06 TJ..

oh and far as Lemon... yeah mine is going back as a lemon also.. but to be replaced with another Jeep Jk.. I just got a bad one.. the only bad jeep ive ever had so I'll get a good one next time...

most of the times when I get a leak it is because I didnt properly tuck the top material in around the door frame, or didnt fit the back window bar in correctly... also keep the header seal clean and a little vaseline works wonders to keep it plyable and make a better seal...

I tend to put my sail panels on, the back window and all and stretch the velcro out and as tight as i can BEFORE i latch the front latches.. then latch the latches and tuck the flaps in above the windows.. making sure the piece of material between front and back doors is tucked up inside and not outside... Makes for a Nice quiet, warm, dry Jeep-ride...
-Christopher
Old 01-12-2009, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
This isn't really true. Like I stated, my 2004 TJ did NOT have as much wind noise as my new JK. Sure there was some wind noise, but I was asking about the incredibly LOUD wind noise where 2 people can't even have a conversation.

If that is the norm, that's pathetic.

And for the record, my jeep is a babied garage kept jeep, but even when I've been out of town or just out somewhere and it's poured down rain like crazy, I haven't had the slightest leak at all. So here is another JK owner with NO leak problem. I personally think it's how the owners take care of the top. Not trying to say they don't take care of it, just maybe a little rougher than others.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepaRoo
having this be my 5th wrangler.. this one is the quietest wrangler ive ever had... water leaks are very rare... if I get any water it is because I put the top up wrong.. simply putting it down and putting it back up correctly rectifies that... i have a little bit of whistle in the front when I drive into a headwind on the freeway.. but nothing nearly as noisy as even my 06 TJ..

oh and far as Lemon... yeah mine is going back as a lemon also.. but to be replaced with another Jeep Jk.. I just got a bad one.. the only bad jeep ive ever had so I'll get a good one next time...

most of the times when I get a leak it is because I didnt properly tuck the top material in around the door frame, or didnt fit the back window bar in correctly... also keep the header seal clean and a little vaseline works wonders to keep it plyable and make a better seal...

I tend to put my sail panels on, the back window and all and stretch the velcro out and as tight as i can BEFORE i latch the front latches.. then latch the latches and tuck the flaps in above the windows.. making sure the piece of material between front and back doors is tucked up inside and not outside... Makes for a Nice quiet, warm, dry Jeep-ride...
-Christopher
I agree with you 100% about Jeeps and the lemon factor. AND, for what you said about the top and the wind noise. When I first bought the jeep, it was NOT as loud as it is now. I still think it has something to do with those door rubber/foam strips, but it might have something to do with how tight I have the top on.

Quick Reply: Wind noise with soft top