Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Wind noise with soft top

Old 01-10-2009, 07:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wind noise with soft top, anyone have a fix?

I had a 2004 TJ with a hard top and bought a Besttop soft top to put on during the spring through fall. The hard top was naturally quieter to ride in, but the soft top wasn't really too bad. I just figured it was because it was a jeep with a rag top!

Fast forward to my 2008 JK with factory soft top. First thing I noticed were these small rubber pieces that didn't really fit well, attached to the door at the top right were the windshield meets the soft top. These things kept pulling up, as they were only put on the door by some sticky solution. Pretty cheap if you ask me. I'm not sure if they are the problem, but...

When I get to about 55 mph, the sound of the wind is just loud in the cabin. Ridiculous really, especially since it is a factory top. It's louder than my old TJ after market soft top.

Anyone else have this problem and a fix? Does it have something to do with these small rubber pieces on the doors?

Last edited by ragtopdave06; 01-11-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The JK top is poorly designed. This is common. You are going to get wind leaks through the header making a high-pitched whistling sound and more than likely leaks at the door a pillar (I've yet to see one that doesn't leak though people hear claim they have one.) You are going to have to live with it. It's a JK thing. There is no fix. The problem is not the top. It's the rubber windshield header seal. The leading edge sticks up and make the wind noise. It also allows water to channel to the foam tape () and in the doors. You can't compare it to previous Jeeps. It's not the same.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:14 AM
JK Super Freak

My soft top has less wind noise than the hard top.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:26 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by saltman
The JK top is poorly designed. This is common. You are going to get wind leaks through the header making a high-pitched whistling sound and more than likely leaks at the door a pillar (I've yet to see one that doesn't leak though people hear claim they have one.) You are going to have to live with it. It's a JK thing. There is no fix. The problem is not the top. It's the rubber windshield header seal. The leading edge sticks up and make the wind noise. It also allows water to channel to the foam tape () and in the doors. You can't compare it to previous Jeeps. It's not the same.
I have only had my top leak once......and that was my fault as I attached the rear sail panels before clamping the front. This is no claim, it is fact. I know af others that have no leak too. Maybe some of us were lucky but please don't insinuate that we are missleading others by saying ours don't leak.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have not heard to much wind noise, but that probably due to me haveing the stereo blastin'. But leaks YES rediculiously
Old 01-11-2009, 04:38 PM
JK Super Freak

mine has always been a little loud right above the windshield on the hwy...depends on how windy it is that day or not though. i just bought some extra weatherstripping and stuck it along the edge of the top where it meets the header...helped a little bit.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:45 PM
JK Newbie

Default soft top

08 rubicon with 1/2 doors just lucky but no water leaks
Old 01-11-2009, 08:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Opinion, not fact.

Mine is the quietest top I have ever owned. It never whistles when put up correctly. It never leaks unless I don't put it up right. Every top is different, being mass produced at a factory.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ( and the entire club ) would love to see it. Are you coming to Tellico opening day in April?

Yes all my comments are my opinion based on the JKs I have seen. If it rains today when I turn in my lemon, I will take pictures of all the ones on the lot leaking for you. I believe yours doesn't leak but it is a FACT that the problems are common as stated in my opinion.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:39 AM
JK Super Freak

I ( and the entire club ) would love to see it. Are you coming to Tellico opening day in April?

Yes all my comments are my opinion based on the JKs I have seen. If it rains today when I turn in my lemon, I will take pictures of all the ones on the lot leaking for you. I believe yours doesn't leak but it is a FACT that the problems are common as stated in my opinion.
Might be, common to you, but there have been polls and the number of people who have leaky tops are always outweighed by those that don't. I can't say why it is that way, but it is typically more than 3 to 1.
If you're turning yours in, I hope you get what you're looking for on your next vehicle, if it is not Jeep.

Quick Reply: Wind noise with soft top