Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

2 door custom rear seat (bucket replacing bench)

Old 01-16-2009, 03:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Updated and added photos, and edited original seat belt problem with the proper solution.

Last edited by Hoovis; 01-16-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrtjk
Great job...I actually have an aftermarket front seat sitting in the back of my two door for a test fit as I type. I've been trying to find a set of back seats from an unlimited to bolt in for the same reason.

Thanks for sharing...hopefully someday I can come across a set.
I'm almost certain that an unlimited rear seat is too wide. Those are slightly in front of the wheel wells and wider than the 2 door rear bench, so they won't fit in the back of a 2 door. Also, the front of those are on riser brackets, so it would be too tall.

Always possible to fabricate something out of an unlimited back seat, I suppose, but I looked into that as an option and concluded it would not work.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

One of the best custom ideas I have seen on the forum. Great job!!!
Old 01-16-2009, 10:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oO_Rogue_Oo
Not quite "quick disconnect" but if you weld the nuts to the underside of the tub it would cut your re-install time to something manageable (30 minutes maybe). Oh and BTW; very good idea and very nicely executed.
Rogue, good thinking, but I don't think that will work. If you see the seats removed from their original bracket, you will notice that the bolts are hard-mounted and powdercoated as a solid unit into the sliders. I think this is because you would not be able to get a socket or wrench into the sliders to get any torque, therefore, welded nuts underneath do you no good.

So while I absolutely commend your idea, once you see the seat up-front and personal and having 1-1/4 inch non-removable bolts threatening to ruin your office hard wood floors... sorry, it is the anger against the bolts, and their is no way to turn them in the space provided.

I couldn't find a way to remove the bolts and still be able to fasten them. They are "semi-permanent" as-is on the sliders. Perhaps I don't have the proper tools (good chance of that, but I still can't imagine what the proper tool is), but I'm rattling my pea brain to figure out the "correct" solution.

Figuring out the seatbelt thing with the "4th seat" on it's side in my office, as I tested it to be sure it worked properly, I realized that I might, MAYBE be able to design a quick disconnect method by using the factory rear bench hardware.

Bear with me (and feedback is not encouraged, but necessary to figur this out)... Here's what I'm thinking. For the 4th seat, if I remove the sliders (roughly 1/2 to 3/4" tall), and only use the metal bracket that secures the seat to the sliders, it MIGHT be possible to fabricate a bracket under the seat (there is some room) that could accomodate the factory rear bench mounting hardware at the proper height.

This would be no small chore for sure. The factory bench is roughly 40" in length. But it is only held together by a single metal pipe PLUS a small metal rod (which, when pulled) disengages the hook.

IF someone talented enough could weld in the additional "U-hooks" needed in the floor (like the ones currently there), AND mount the mounting hardware that currently resides on the factory bench (AFTER cutting it and welding it to roughly 13" wide for the front portion of the new seat -- from about 35" currently), AND then somehow implementing the pull release lever cable from the back portion of the mount, it would make it easily removable.

As I re-read that, it makes perfect sense if you know the parts, but even if so, is not an easy chore and is a very confusing explanation. But I plan to work on that option. I'm just in no hurry to figure it out (part one was tough enough). It would be very cool, but for the time being, I'm happy with what I have (serves my purposes for one kid for probably -- at a minimum -- at least 2 years).

Anyway, short story long, I can envision how to make the 4th seat easily removable and flush to the floor. But it won't be easy.

Sorry for being verboise, and I do appreciate your idea, and all others. But this last part (seat 4) is far more difficult than I ever would have expected. Just wish I had a solution (or the time inclination) to already offer to others.

My apologies if any of that sounded rude. Not at all my intent. Please keep the ideas coming. We'll get there together.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really don't need a backseat very often but I really like this as an option. Salvage yards will have more available in a year or two. I think this is great!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow!!! Great idea and nice looking. I bet your passengers will be more comfy now.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Unbelievable. I just traded both my TJ and JK 2 door for a 4 door 2 weeks ago. Didn't want to but thought I had no choice. I carry two dogs to work everyday and soon a new son. Not to mention the wife. Ah well, at least I got a great deal.
Where were you two weeks ago, dammit?
Old 01-19-2009, 05:08 PM
JK Newbie

Like it! If it works for you that's awesome!
Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for all the feedback. I spent the weekend needing to haul some things around, and was very impressed with how much extra cargo space this provides. Granted, this idea isn't for everyone, but made my 2 door FAR more versatile.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by putnam dan
how far forward will the seat tilt?
It is the same seat as a front passenger side (so it tilts the same). You can see it slid forward and tilted in the 4th picture above. Relative to the 3rd pic above, it can slide forward about 6 more inches or back about 3 more inches.

Quick Reply: 2 door custom rear seat (bucket replacing bench)