Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is it just me?

Old 11-09-2006, 09:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it just me?

Or do the 4 doors with painted fenders look a lot better than the unpainted ones? I think it just completes the look more and doesn't look as cheap as the plasticky ones. I mean, a Wrangler pushing $30,000 is a bit much so why not make it look like a quality car?
Old 11-09-2006, 10:14 PM
JK Newbie

I agree. I just prefer the look of the painted fenders. Gives it a "finished" look in my opinion.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Painted Flares look cheap to me

I disagree. I think the painted flairs look sort of cheap. They just don't seem to be integral to the car. The black flares look like what they are supposed to be... flares. I think painted flares is the first step (albeit a minor one) to bling, of course many would disagree with this. They just seem a bit chincy to me. I don't REALLY like the stock black fenders either by the way. They are the weak link in the chain for me, but they are rapidly growing on me.

Personally I think the Bushwacker look is much nicer and gives it a more rugged look. I think it is because they are not so smooth and large. The bolt indentions really break up the outline. I have not thought much about or seen how the bushwacker flares would look painted. I might like that.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think you'll find everybody on one side of the fence or the other on this one. It seems more a matter of personal preference. I personally think some colors will look better with painted flares such as the Metallic Silver or Steel Blue, but think the unpainted flares look nicer with other colors such as Rescue Green, Red Rock, White, or Black. I think the JK looks awesome, and whether it has painted fenders or not, it'll catch MY eye when you drive by!
Tom

Bryson CIty, NC
Old 11-10-2006, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I agree with SpudRacer that it's totally a personal preference. Personally I agree with edoguy789, I've always thought that the painted flares looked strange. I was quite happy when they didn't have a Sahara model last year thinking they finally got rid of those things. I always thought it took away from the distinctiveness by making it look a little more like a regular SUV, especially with the Unlimited.

The Bushwacker flares do look great, I think I'll end up getting those. I'm waiting to see some installed on a rig other than a dealer one though after seeing some of the pics where it interfered with the hood latches. I'm also a little concerned about the fact that they extend another 2" since the flares are already so big. Wider tires would seal the deal I guess, although I always enjoyed the fact that my TJ tires stuck out about 4", it made the Jeep look really wide.
Old 11-10-2006, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

I like it either way. I think Im gona get painted wackers when I get the jeep. They look very nice. What looks even better is painted flares and top to match. Then it looks like a G wagon from the side
Old 11-10-2006, 08:19 AM
JK1
JK Newbie

Ofcourse it's a matter of personal preference. If it wasn't, then there would only be one type of automobile out there on the road, a Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon with black flares, black dual top, power convenience group, side air bags, and hitch. Oh wait, that's what I want.

Last edited by JK1; 11-10-2006 at 10:11 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 11-10-2006, 09:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just my personal taste, but I am not sure if I like Spudracers painted green letters either.

Just kidding Tom!
Old 11-10-2006, 09:56 AM
JK Jedi

Actually, I like when the flares are painted black, like these.

http://www.project-jk.com/wp-gallery...g2_itemId=4977
Old 11-10-2006, 11:33 AM
dsp
JK Enthusiast

Just as others have said, some colors look ok w/ the painted flares, but black is where it's at when you have a flame red JK. If I had $400 I would definitely get the bushwacker flares.

Quick Reply: Is it just me?