Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Cracking noise coming from right side of dash....

Old 07-27-2009, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracking noise coming from right side of dash....

I know its a Jeep...so back off a little...but I have a cracking noise coming from the right side of my dash....I have tired to find out where its coming from but I just dont know. The noise is heard when I am driving under 30mph. Anyone have any ideas on what to do.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jgoard15
I know its a Jeep...so back off a little...but I have a cracking noise coming from the right side of my dash....I have tired to find out where its coming from but I just dont know. The noise is heard when I am driving under 30mph. Anyone have any ideas on what to do.
I gots lots of noises coming from mine, after one excursion to the hill country. Was totally quiet before that. One of my noises from the right side was a loose object in my glove box, did you check that?

I also have a door knocking/popping/rattling sound from the right front passenger door. I tried tape on the latch, no help. Driving me insane
Old 07-27-2009, 11:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did check that I removed everything in the glove box.....any other ideas...its is driving me crazy.......................
Old 07-27-2009, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you run any wires through the right side of the firewall? If so, they may be a wire ratteling against some plastic.

You may want to pop out the glove box and look for anything loose, UGIG module, wiring, etc.

Good luck. I am still searching for the cause to mine as well. Took the door apart, no luck......
Old 07-27-2009, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

i dont have anything added on....still stock inside...i think I will remove the glove box and see if I can target that freaking noise......
Old 07-27-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jgoard15
i dont have anything added on....still stock inside...i think I will remove the glove box and see if I can target that freaking noise......
Good luck with it, I know mine is driving me crazy

Oh, any kids? Maybe something got dropped behind the dash. There is a fairly wide place between dash and window things like to disappear into....
Old 07-27-2009, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

the sound is coming from maybe the plastic...nothing rattling around
Old 07-28-2009, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

anybody else have any suggestions....
Old 07-28-2009, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the passangers side dash trim piece. The piece you remove to get to the firewall tunnel under the hood. Mine was rattling there a little.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Warning... repeat, but a decent collection of noise causes

I've posted this list I've gathered from this forum... It's posted in several other threads, but in case any of it can help you.

It sounds like you have narrowed this noise to the firwall... but just in case... here is my list of noises gathered from this forum. From your description, I would start with 1, 2, and 4.

Here is a great list of common noises:
https://www.jk-forum.com/showthread.p...fixes+you%27ve

also, here is a classic:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stock-jk-tech-12/squeaking-dash-noise-cured-3743/

Here are some common things to check....
1. Under Hood Cowl (plastic vents rattle in firewall)
2. A Pillar rollbar bolts (look above your head to the left, lube and tighten that bolt, or--- blue lock and tighten that bolt)
3. Visor screws loose
4. The Windshield bracket (on the outside of the Windshield) can be loose, mine needed some fiber washers and lube to calm this noise. (This one, along with number 2 above, get a lot of torque when the frame flexes, even from road rumble.)
5. Clutch line rattles against firewall heatshields (if Std. shift). Either bend the heat shield with your hands away from the clutch hydraulic line, and/or put a split 1/4 inch fuel line around the line as an insulator.
6. Door latch rattle. Put 2.5 inches of electrical tape around striker.
7. Loose front fenders can rattle and transmit the noise to the cabin.
8. I've heard of loose round air vents.. use thin foam tape on those if needed.
9. I've heard of an A/C line rattle in the cabin, caused by the lack of insulation where it comes in through the firewall.

Quick Reply: Cracking noise coming from right side of dash....