Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Lockers Break the Axle?

Old 03-16-2009, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Lockers Break the Axle?

Got a couple questions regarding lockers and axles...

1. ) On the factory X, the Dana 30 front w/ 3.73 gear ratio is what spline? What is the spline of the factory X, rear Dana 44 w/ 3.73 gear ratio?

2.) I want lockers, can they break an axle shaft? I know lockers will distribute the power to one wheel. I just want to make sure that the lockers won't break either of my axles when tackling some serious stuff.

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on how you drive it. If you have your wheels in a bind and you mash the gas you are more likely to break with a locker. I had an aussie in my front, but I am not comfortable with running an auto in the frot. I want to be able to turn it on and off. 99% of the time on the trail I don't need lockers. I think you are less lkely to break with a selectable and smart decision making.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

locked d30 with oem shafts and anything bigger than 33s is gonna boom sooner or later
Old 03-16-2009, 06:01 PM
JK Super Freak

So in regards to lockers; should I be asking, what aftermarket parts and/or shafts should I be looking into?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RN M OVR

1. ) On the factory X, the Dana 30 front w/ 3.73 gear ratio is what spline? What is the spline of the factory X, rear Dana 44 w/ 3.73 gear ratio?
ummm cant help you there I dont know what Spline is... but would love if someone could explain it

2.) I want lockers, can they break an axle shaft? I know lockers will distribute the power to one wheel. I just want to make sure that the lockers won't break either of my axles when tackling some serious stuff.

Thanks!

Ummm I could be wrong here... but isnt that exactly what Lockers Stop? Dont lockers Lock the the whole Axle to one consistant speed so both wheels driver and passanger on either the front or the rear axle lock and turn at the exact same time... Having all the power to one wheel would mean shit for traction no? I thought the whole point of having lockers is so that you do not get wheel spin all generated from one wheel that has the least resistance... LSD's move torque from the wheels that slip to the ones that are gripping... lockers I thought locked them both at the same tq and speed at all times....

someone correct me if I am wrong...
Old 03-16-2009, 06:30 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can break an axle with an open differential, so yes, most certainly with a locker you can break hell out of them. The key is being careful.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks!
1)Front Dana 30 has 27 spline axles, Rear Dana 44 on a X has 30 splines, Rubi's have 32 spline axles.

2) A locker will lock both side axles together and they will turn at the same time regardless if one wheel is in the air and the other on the ground. This is why people put lockers in, more traction. In my opinion if you spend the money on a locker go ahead and put chromemoly shafts in. Then you won't have much to worry about, unless you like the skinny pedal alot. But even then thats what the upgraded shafts are for!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

I can tell you from what happened to to my front axles you don't want a locker in your 30 unless you upgrade your axles .....last week we had a blizzard and i drove in to some deep snow and as soon as the tires started to get traction both front axles snap at the u-joint and bent both lower ball joints .Before the locker i went through foot and a half deep crusty snow many times with no problems and the snow that broke my axles was fluffy much easyer to drive through..
Old 03-16-2009, 10:32 PM
JK Freak

Lockers have never been recomended for snow because of that.

Anyways, it is all relative. you won't break an axle because of a locker. you may get into more difficult situations with a locker, because you can do more.

I broke an axle on my front Dana 30, but I knew what I was doing was stupid. I was taking a risk and I knew it. I have been in many situations that I knew were bad, and worked out of it before any breakage.

Get a locker, and drive smart and you will be fine. If you do extreme stuff, upgrade axles to chromoly. I still haven't, but want to eventually.

I also run an auto locker in the front, which I love. It is all in your style. When going off road I want to be locked until I am back on the pavement. Some like to turn it on and off. To each their own.

I also disagree that a Dana 30 with anything more than 33s will break for sure. The Dana 30 is not a bad axle. I know guys who do more extreme stuff than me with 35s and a Dana 30 with an auto locker and just drive smart.

Don't be afraid of a locker. Learn from smart guys, and be smart yourself, and you will be fine. Also don't make decisions like this because one guy had a bad experience in a situation you may or may never experience.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:07 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by dpoelstra
Lockers have never been recomended for snow because of that.

Anyways, it is all relative. you won't break an axle because of a locker. you may get into more difficult situations with a locker, because you can do more.

I broke an axle on my front Dana 30, but I knew what I was doing was stupid. I was taking a risk and I knew it. I have been in many situations that I knew were bad, and worked out of it before any breakage.

Get a locker, and drive smart and you will be fine. If you do extreme stuff, upgrade axles to chromoly. I still haven't, but want to eventually.

I also run an auto locker in the front, which I love. It is all in your style. When going off road I want to be locked until I am back on the pavement. Some like to turn it on and off. To each their own.

I also disagree that a Dana 30 with anything more than 33s will break for sure. The Dana 30 is not a bad axle. I know guys who do more extreme stuff than me with 35s and a Dana 30 with an auto locker and just drive smart.

Don't be afraid of a locker. Learn from smart guys, and be smart yourself, and you will be fine. Also don't make decisions like this because one guy had a bad experience in a situation you may or may never experience.
X2. In some cases the extra traction from the locker may actually be less stressful in some situations if one is trying to power through with open diffs with wheel spin/hop.

Quick Reply: Can Lockers Break the Axle?