Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchips Flashpaq for JK, Initial Impressions

Old 04-03-2009, 05:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swanny297
Keep us posted with some actual numbers - I think this may be the next MOD.....
I'll be watching the results too!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:59 AM
JK Super Freak

You mention your JK has headers...what other performance mods do you have?

Also, I am new to the whole performance chip game...what kind of benefits will I have with just a CAI and my flowmaster muffler? I still have the 6 speed with stock 3.21 gearing and plan on running 35s on a 4" lift. I know it'll be a dog with that gear ratio, but how much will this flashpaq itself help? I don't really know much about performance chips, etc. Will I have to use higher octane gas if I run this chip or can you calibrate to still run 87? I planned on just getting the AEV procal to calibrate my speedo but after reading your review it seems this flashpaq made a marked improvement.

Thanks for the review and keep em coming.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Does this get rid of the "drive by wire" hesitation that the hypertech fixed as well?
Old 04-03-2009, 08:46 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by swanny297
Keep us posted with some actual numbers - I think this may be the next MOD.....
I'm not sure what kind of numbers you are looking for, but I'm not planning on doing any dyno pulls and I don't think it's fair to Hypertech to do a comparison to their product when they have told me it won't perform optimally because of my use of headers and what I did to remedy my lean issues with their product. I can do some tests comparing it to stock and use the data acquisitions to record the performance gains. Otherwise, comparing a product to another which the manufacturer said it doesn't support is akin to waving chicken bones over my hood and setting a voodoo doll on my dash.

Originally Posted by joneszj
You mention your JK has headers...what other performance mods do you have?
I also have an AirRaid CAI and a Banks exhaust. I wouldn't buy either of them again, not because of a lack of performance, but because of a cost/value analysis. Having it to do over again, I buy a drop in K&N (I don't subscribe to the oiled filter myths) and something like the Woods muffler relocation kit. Likely the same performance and a lot of cost savings.

Also, I am new to the whole performance chip game...what kind of benefits will I have with just a CAI and my flowmaster muffler?
From my understanding and what I have read in the Flashpaq supplemental manual is that Superchips supports CAIs, Snorkels, exhaust upgrades and headers with the exception of long tubes. What they don't support is bored engines, third party cam shafts, ported heads and forced air. Pretty much the things you would tend to believe would place you on your own anyway.

My initial tests suggests that it takes much better to these kinds of upgrades than the Hypertech did. Of course Hypertech stated they didn't support headers, so I was pretty much on my own anyway.

I still have the 6 speed with stock 3.21 gearing and plan on running 35s on a 4" lift. I know it'll be a dog with that gear ratio, but how much will this flashpaq itself help?
A programmer isn't going to be a replacement for gears. 3.21s and 35s are going to be rough. Where I do think it will be helpful is for those who are on the fence between something like 4.88s and 5.13s. It won't help you with being able to lay off the brakes going down hill off road but it will provide a bigger boost in performance than a 5-7% difference between the most popular gear sets.

I don't really know much about performance chips, etc. Will I have to use higher octane gas if I run this chip or can you calibrate to still run 87?
No, you don't need to run anything other than the regular 87 Octane but also have selectable tunes for 91 and 93 Octane. When I spoke to Derek at Superchips this morning he suggested I also try the 87 Octane tune as their after development internal tests provided better results than their competitors 91 Octane settings. I find the varied octane settings pretty useful. The extra power I get with my truck with the Superchips Flashpaq doesn't help me that much in the snow and ice of the winter moths, but it's pretty much a blast in the summer.

I planned on just getting the AEV procal to calibrate my speedo but after reading your review it seems this flashpaq made a marked improvement.
Some people just aren't comfortable playing around with the PCM and A/F ratios that come along with a programmer. For me, some of the speedo recal stuff is secondary to squeezing a little more power out of my engine. Sure you need to fly under the radar with the dealer, but in all it's pretty painless and has resulted in having a more enjoyable ride in my truck and seemingly also in my JK.

Thanks for the review and keep em coming.
Thanks for asking some great questions and you're welcome! I think it provides a pretty good framework of what the product does and doesn't do and provides a good base to start from.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:58 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jshell73
Does this get rid of the "drive by wire" hesitation that the hypertech fixed as well?
I haven't experienced it as I have ben using the Hypertech for a fairly long time and nothing from the superchips seemed to promote any hesitation that I noted.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Great Review! i will probably be searching the internet all dang night now trying to find the best price on one.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:45 AM
JK Junkie

I was a little anxious to get mine, but I think we're all better served to buy these from a jeep specific vendor and even more so from someone who supports this forum. The dollars that can potentially be saved aren't going to add up to the value that's found here.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/sponsoring-manufacturers-vendors-check-out-cyber-monday-specials-24/alpha-expedition-superchips-flashpaq-stock-soon-77890/

is getting a price together. i am also ready to pull the trigger on this one. the performance gains alone sound good. IF THE PRICE IS DOABLE. just hope the bugs are worked out on the ones they are shipping.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by PA RUBICON
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77890

is getting a price together. i am also ready to pull the trigger on this one. the performance gains alone sound good. IF THE PRICE IS DOABLE. just hope the bugs are worked out on the ones they are shipping.
Most "techies" will tell you to wait for the second generation in any electronic component. But, I REALLY want to buy one!!!
Old 04-03-2009, 11:11 AM
JK Super Freak

this is one of the most in depth reviews i have seen to date on this site. great job on letting everyone know how it worked and the good and the bad things about it. thank you for taking all the time you did . I totally am looking into getting one of these. my jet chip did not seem to do ANYTHING. i still have it in there until i get something else that i can replace it with. and this might just be what i was looking for.

Quick Reply: Superchips Flashpaq for JK, Initial Impressions