Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchips Flashpaq for JK, Initial Impressions

Old 04-03-2009, 12:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Calypso
Most "techies" will tell you to wait for the second generation in any electronic component. But, I REALLY want to buy one!!!
Not really a reason to hold up all that much as the hardware isn't going to change, just the software portion which is free of charge updatable.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:21 PM
JK Newbie

Default shift points

Got a q are the shift points adjustable with this programmer(superchip)
Great info by the way.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:28 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Offroadme
this is one of the most in depth reviews i have seen to date on this site. great job on letting everyone know how it worked and the good and the bad things about it. thank you for taking all the time you did .
I think my coworkers are the ones who deserved the thanks as they covered for me while I was doing the tech support gig this morning and getting the programmer updates.

I really didn't spend that much time on it and will be able to do a little more this weekend. Rain here today so I definitely need to hold off until tomorrow to check out things a little better.

Last thing, Superchips did find resolution to the speedo calibration issue I had and I'm not sure I mentioned it here. There was a mismatch in gear ratio and when the PCM and the Superchips didn't matchup it just disabled the speedometer. Second time through it took and the fix is already done and should be available next week after it goes through their QA program. I'll get an email when it's good to go.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:43 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Schnauzer
Got a q are the shift points adjustable with this programmer(superchip)
Great info by the way.
Yes, I can use my left foot and right hand to shift my JK any time I want.

Actually it is in the specs, but after it reads that my stock settings does not include an automatic transmission so I don't believe it would show up, but that's a pretty easy one for me to take a look and see. Again, if it's not there doesn't mean it's not good to go, just that it doesn't have the means to show up once it realizes the vehicle has a manual transmission.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:08 PM
JK Junkie

Just got word the gear/speedo issue has been resolved and the update is on the Superchips site.

Pretty fast work and I'll have it downloaded within the hour and do a quick return to stock and a reprogram to see if the issue arises again and also if the one screen that was void of dialogue is corrected.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:58 PM
JK Junkie

Ok...so Ive found it as low as 335 with free overnight ship, but cant find a sponsor who lists it...who has it?
Old 04-03-2009, 03:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great reveiw and so far it sounds like the are blowing hypertech out of the water.But that always happens when they rush things out the door before they put it through it's paces and work the bugs out.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:49 PM
JK Junkie

OK, 2 bugs and 2 fixes in a day. Everything goes fine with the update process and then the install into the Jeep. Going back to stock took 5 minutes and programming a tune took 7 minutes. Pretty damn fast and my bladder will hold out that long locked in the vehicle.

Gone is the blue screen without dialog that tells you to turn the key back to the on position to complete the program. I forget exactly what it says, but it isn't the riddle of the blue screen.

Gone is the issue with the speedo/gear re-calibration if you had some sort of optional gears from the factory.

Data logging was installed and I could check a variety of engine parameters and have my own wether station with barometric pressure and such. Also, an air inlet temperature so some day when I'm feeling a little frisky I can find out what sort of difference my CAI makes over a stock air box. Lots of other stuff as well and plenty that I really don't understand nor care to.

The data logging also provides distance and speed logging. I did some free way on ramp 0-60 blasts 3 of them with the stock setting and just 1 with the 93 Octane setting. These things are definitely not meant to be shifted like a race car and the best of the 3 stock 0-60 runs was 9.84. The only run I did on the 93 setting was 9.14 and I hit the rev limiter before getting out of first. So it's probably quicker than that, but for my purposes I was pretty much wrapped.

I also tried the data logging by distance up hill in 4HI but unfortunately I was cut short. It was dusk and I watched some deer cross the road while I was changing the program. Definitely better left for another day.

In all these tests were kind of unrewarding. Sure I got together a couple numbers for validation but it isn't really the way I drive. It just confirmed that my butt dyno is pretty accurate and I can gauge more power without having the time slips to prove it. It was never a feeling I got with the competitive product.

Driving around I do plenty of 1st to 3rd shifts, roll out in 2nd gear along with big jumps into 6th. A lot of coasting with the clutch in or floating in neutral around town and wind the gears probably a little more than a guy with an automatic. That's where I really feel the power, in the low end torque and in my opinion, that's what makes a better driving experience.

Hey, this thing still isn't a race car nor will it ever be but it doesn't need to be a dog either. There is definitely some extra power creeping under the hood to be unleashed and I'm happy Superchips unleashed it for me.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:10 PM
JK Junkie

so excited...mine should be here tues.
and then we see if I can figure out how to set it up

Quick Reply: Superchips Flashpaq for JK, Initial Impressions