Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power steering help?

Old 04-14-2010, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power steering help?

Hey guys, I am having problems with my power steering pump and I brought it into the dealer and they told me that nothing was wrong with it and the reason its hard to turn when slowing to a stop is because of my 35's...which is BS because I know what it feels like when power steering pump is jacked up because I have already blown the thing before! I guess that just mean they didnt want to warranty it.. anyway the dealer said I should buy an aftermarket steering setup, what do you guys suggest?? Or should I should go to another dealer?? Thanks in advance

Mike
Old 04-14-2010, 06:22 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

honestly, i would try taking your jeep to another dealer. also, if you've blown your steering pump before, is it possible you just need to bleed it?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
honestly, i would try taking your jeep to another dealer. also, if you've blown your steering pump before, is it possible you just need to bleed it?
Crap, sorry WOL..I posted in the wrong section! How would I bleed the pump?
Old 04-14-2010, 06:33 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Bosox5
Crap, sorry WOL..I posted in the wrong section! How would I bleed the pump?
well, a power bleeder would be the best way to do it but, you can jack up the front end of your jeep so that the tires are just off the ground and then, with the cap off the reservoir, slowly cycle your steering wheel all the way to the left and then the right a few times. this should help to work out any air bubbles that are trapped inside the lines.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
well, a power bleeder would be the best way to do it but, you can jack up the front end of your jeep so that the tires are just off the ground and then, with the cap off the reservoir, slowly cycle your steering wheel all the way to the left and then the right a few times. this should help to work out any air bubbles that are trapped inside the lines.
Sweet, I am going to try that this weekend! Thanks It's probably not normal then that I am having all these problems with my pump then? All my problems have occured after wheeling hard in very tight spots.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:48 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by Bosox5
Sweet, I am going to try that this weekend! Thanks It's probably not normal then that I am having all these problems with my pump then? All my problems have occured after wheeling hard in very tight spots.
well, now that you tell me that, have you checked to see if maybe your tie rod is bent and enough so that your steering stabizer is making contact with your track bar mount on the axle. i have seen this to cause steering problems. also, have you checked your steering stabilzer for any dents? have you removed it and cycled it by hand? could be it's frozen or binding. i have seen this plenty of time in the past too and that would definitely cause your steering to feel like it's got pump issues.

Quick Reply: Power steering help?