Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

TPMS replacement with tire change?

Old 04-07-2009, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies, it seems that it is definately something that could be avoided. I'm already having to buy their tire warranty to get my warranty tire from BFG so I'm ticked I have to pay that :(
Old 04-07-2009, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

On my 08 X I had, I put on new wheels and tires. I just had the sensors moved over to the new wheels. Didn't do anything more than that, and I had absolutely no issues at all.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by piaa_nissan
Hoping theres a tire guru here-I recently found a bulge in the stock 4k mile BFG KM's and took it to Americas tire for warranty replacement. They said I would have to pay for a whole tire warranty plus labor and then drop the fact they will need to "rebuild" the TPMS sensor. Has anyone heard of this before? Seems to me an upsell as I dont belive they charge this for my van at work.
As Bob stated in an earlier thread it is highly advisable to rebuild them, its cheap insurance. The bottom line is that the core and cap and all may be fine, but the gromet that seals the stem to the wheel needs to be replaced every time the sensors are moved. If you can get that little gromet seperatley it is probably safe to go that route, but otherwise just have them rebuild it.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

So what's the issue with taking it to the dealer for warranty instead of paying anything to the tire shop?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

procal set to zero and call it a day.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LeroyJMC
So what's the issue with taking it to the dealer for warranty instead of paying anything to the tire shop?
Dealer told me tire warrantys are through the tire companys and they were no longer allowed to replace. I talked to the regional office of Americas tire and they told me the warranty work would only involve the labor unlike what I was told earlier and buying a extra warranty for the one tire was an option only. They also explained the rebuild consisted of the parts mentioned earlier and was pretty much recommended. After I got off the phone I recieved a call from the store manager who apoligized that it was implied I had to buy a warranty to "warranty" a tire as that wasn't the case. He ended up offering to waive labor and give me the road hazard warranty for all my tires for $137 if I wanted it, not a bad apoligy.

Quick Reply: TPMS replacement with tire change?